TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Super Moderator
17,150 Posts
What, the Mustang pedals/cable not working out?

I have a mustang pedals and cable on my tbird
I couldn't locate a SC set up so I made my own from a sn95 mustang pedals.
It was involved but works great.
I had wrecked 2001 and 1997 GT mustangs and used all the parts I could from them. I used the 1997 GT's brain as well with the PATS too.

thatglockguy

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hehehehe, their again just asking.
My mustang pedals work fine. In the 8 years I have had it on my car, it has never failed once. And I can get a mustang hydraulic conversion for my mustang pedals. Thinking about doing a 6 speed.
I want to explore new avenues and do field research. In the scientific method after your hypothesis, you do research, gather data, hard and soft. That's what I am doing, gathering data and pushing the outer limits...... So to speak.
Thanks for you help

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Hehehehe, their again just asking.
My mustang pedals work fine. In the 8 years I have had it on my car, it has never failed once. And I can get a mustang hydraulic conversion for my mustang pedals. Thinking about doing a 6 speed.
I want to explore new avenues and do field research. In the scientific method after your hypothesis, you do research, gather data, hard and soft. That's what I am doing, gathering data and pushing the outer limits...... So to speak.
Thanks for you help
You ever going to show us pics of that setup? Those of us looking to do mnual swaps of our own might be interested.

Also, I have a SC Clutch pedal with slave and manual brake pedal assembly. You could PM me an offer.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
re

Hi Woodman, some of my friends call me that too.
If you want pics I will email them to you. I am going to remove the dash soon and I will take some more. I have an idea to change the brake booster to a mustang hydroboost or vaccum can. The point is their are no modification to the mustang pedal assembly and would be a direct bolt on. You would have to make a spacer for the top of the pedal assembly to the tbird firewall. And if you wanted to get a hydraulic cable conversion for the mustang pedal assembly you can do that too. Now you have the choice between cable or hydraulic.
The definition of freedom is directly proportional to the amount of choices. If their is only one choice, you have no choice and hence no freedom.
I was just looking for another avenue to do a manual conversion. If some one else has done it, so can I.
Also, the reason we do things is because we can!
Last note: I attempted to in all sincerity post my conversion so others have options. It was meet with: ridicule, belligerent attitude, and personal insults.
I originally had an SC pedal setup. When I decided to do the mustang pedals, I have the intention if it didn't perform at least as good as the SC pedals I was going to change it back and chalk up the time and effort as an learning experience. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. "He who risks, wins" Quote from a WWII british commando. The results, it was as good and better. My SC setup failed twice. One was a master cylinder failure. An other thing, I can use readily available mustang parts an addons. I have never, ever had a failure and confident that if I have this car for another 20 plus years I will have no failures. I like the feedback on the cable better too. If I have to replace the cable takes me 15 minuets, not hours to repair and bleed the system.
I have cobra pedal pads on them, they look cool.
So if you are interested then I will send you pics.
Thanks for all your advice

·
Super Moderator
17,150 Posts
Hi Woodman, some of my friends call me that too.
If you want pics I will email them to you. I am going to remove the dash soon and I will take some more. I have an idea to change the brake booster to a mustang hydroboost or vaccum can. The point is their are no modification to the mustang pedal assembly and would be a direct bolt on. You would have to make a spacer for the top of the pedal assembly to the tbird firewall. And if you wanted to get a hydraulic cable conversion for the mustang pedal assembly you can do that too. Now you have the choice between cable or hydraulic.
Umm, call you what? The last time you said you'd email pics to someone he never got them, I don't like throwing my email around if I'm going to be met with excuses why it didn't go through.

The definition of freedom is directly proportional to the amount of choices. If their is only one choice, you have no choice and hence no freedom.
Yet, you contradict freedom with your desire to add hydroboost, a system requiring several feet of high pressure lines and fittings, and requires the elimination of EVO feature from our power steering system(unless you want less brake assist at speed and turning the wheel too?).

I was just looking for another avenue to do a manual conversion. If some one else has done it, so can I.
But no one else has done Mustang pedals, that's a key point to why you perceive being met with:

Last note: I attempted to in all sincerity post my conversion so others have options. It was meet with: ridicule, belligerent attitude, and personal insults.
Your attempt never went further than asking people to send you email addresses so you could send attachments, and you didn't even do that. You reap what you sow. You could easily host no more than 1 picture on photobucket and post it here for all to see and utterly shut anyone up who doubts you...

... but here we are months later and we're still waiting, only to see you asking about SC pedals LOL

I originally had an SC pedal setup.
Oh really?

I haven't done the SC ped conversion because I didn't have any. So I made my own. Still, the easiest mod, and I say that just from what others say cause I never done a SC conversion, that the SC would be the easiest.
:rolleyes:

When I decided to do the mustang pedals, I have the intention if it didn't perform at least as good as the SC pedals I was going to change it back and chalk up the time and effort as an learning experience. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. "He who risks, wins" Quote from a WWII british commando. The results, it was as good and better. My SC setup failed twice. One was a master cylinder failure.
And many contradictions to follow

An other thing, I can use readily available mustang parts an addons. I have never, ever had a failure and confident that if I have this car for another 20 plus years I will have no failures. I like the feedback on the cable better too. If I have to replace the cable takes me 15 minuets, not hours to repair and bleed the system.
If it takes you hours to bleed a hydraulic clutch I really call into question your mechanical abilities required to tackle what you have claimed to tackle. My hydraulic setup is external, so it takes me 15 minutes to bleed the master/line/slave on a bench as a sealed assembly and snake it through the car to install it and it's done. And when it's in it's done, there's no quadrant BS to deal with, which is a bane, not a boon, to most Mustang owners, and the ONLY part that's SC specific I'm using is the Master Cylinder, which is available in aftermarket form as well. There's a million ways to do a hydraulic clutch.

I have cobra pedal pads on them, they look cool.
So if you are interested then I will send you pics.
Thanks for all your advice
I have Cobra pads on my SC pedals, they look cool.

And I am interested, post pics.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I too would much prefer you to post pictures than to email them. Just get a free photobucket account, and that way it serves the good for the community.

If it's relatively easy to use Mustang clutch and brake pedals in a MN-12, then that makes manual conversions SO much easier, because we don't have to use a hydraulic line or source an increasingly hard to come by clutch pedal assembly from the very finite number of cars with the V6SC/5speed combo. There are millions of manual equipped mustangs, and they all (V6 or V8) use the same pedals, so finding them in a junkyard is a piece of cake.

I know there are issues with firewalls cracking on even the hydraulic clutched cars, because they end up needing reinforcement there on the MN-12. If you have a cable clutch, I'd be interested in the reinforcements you've done too.

I also question the decision to use a Mustang computer, since it doesn't interface well with anything else on the MN-12 platform, and they only real advantage is not having to buy a tuner (which are available used in the $200 range on Ebay all day, that's where I got mine) and a good tune is only in the $100 to $150 range for a mostly stock configuration.

My wiring skills are not up to par for rewiring everything into the MN-12 harness, so a tune is a less expensive, smarter choice for me. Your mileage may vary.

Don't misunderstand me. I am not calling you a liar, giving you crap, or anything else. I ask direct questions, I expect direct answers and a few pictures are always helpful to answer other questions. With how easy it is to post pictures to the internet, I don't see any reason to rely on an email to do it. Share with the rest of us, give us another viable option so we don't have to hoard hard to come by parts, please.

·
Super Moderator
17,150 Posts
I too would much prefer you to post pictures than to email them. Just get a free photobucket account, and that way it serves the good for the community.

If it's relatively easy to use Mustang clutch and brake pedals in a MN-12, then that makes manual conversions SO much easier, because we don't have to use a hydraulic line or source an increasingly hard to come by clutch pedal assembly from the very finite number of cars with the V6SC/5speed combo. There are millions of manual equipped mustangs, and they all (V6 or V8) use the same pedals, so finding them in a junkyard is a piece of cake.

I know there are issues with firewalls cracking on even the hydraulic clutched cars, because they end up needing reinforcement there on the MN-12. If you have a cable clutch, I'd be interested in the reinforcements you've done too.

I also question the decision to use a Mustang computer, since it doesn't interface well with anything else on the MN-12 platform, and they only real advantage is not having to buy a tuner (which are available used in the $200 range on Ebay all day, that's where I got mine) and a good tune is only in the $100 to $150 range for a mostly stock configuration.

My wiring skills are not up to par for rewiring everything into the MN-12 harness, so a tune is a less expensive, smarter choice for me. Your mileage may vary.

Don't misunderstand me. I am not calling you a liar, giving you crap, or anything else. I ask direct questions, I expect direct answers and a few pictures are always helpful to answer other questions. With how easy it is to post pictures to the internet, I don't see any reason to rely on an email to do it. Share with the rest of us, give us another viable option so we don't have to hoard hard to come by parts, please.
The Mustang computer is easy if it's a 96-98, only real difference is the PATS features, the pinout is identical almost everywhere else.

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts

·
Administrator
8,104 Posts
sew - a needle pulling thread :tongue:
Reminds me of a song! :D

DOE-- A DEER A FEMALE DEER
RAY-- A DROP OF GOLDEN SUN
ME-- A NAME I CALL MYSELF
FAR-- A LONG LONG WAY TO RUN
SEW-- A NEEDLE PULLING THREAD
LA-- A NOTE TO FOLLOW SEW
TEA-- A DRINK WITH JAM AND BREAD
THAT WILL BRING US BACK TO DO... oh oh oh

THAT WILL BRING US BACK TO...

(EVERYONE)
THAT WILL BRING US BACK TO DO

DO-RE-MI-FA-SOL-LA-TI-DO... SO DO!

Joe

·
Super Moderator
7,558 Posts
For what it is worth, glockguy did email me the pics of his setup. At his request, I didn't post them here. I have seen his pics, and he definitely has an MN12 with a Mustang cable clutch setup. Having seen what was involved to make it work, it wasn't as hard as I initially expected way back around 12 years ago when I initially attempted to do the swap with a Mustang pedal, but all the same, it is definitely more work than the SC pedal setup, and when it comes to reliability, I have seen way more snapped cables and bent or broken clutch quadrants on Mustangs than I have seen failed master cylinders on SC's, but to each his own.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
For what it is worth, glockguy did email me the pics of his setup. At his request, I didn't post them here. I have seen his pics, and he definitely has an MN12 with a Mustang cable clutch setup. Having seen what was involved to make it work, it wasn't as hard as I initially expected way back around 12 years ago when I initially attempted to do the swap with a Mustang pedal, but all the same, it is definitely more work than the SC pedal setup, and when it comes to reliability, I have seen way more snapped cables and bent or broken clutch quadrants on Mustangs than I have seen failed master cylinders on SC's, but to each his own.
I respect you for honoring his request but it is still a strange request among a bunch of enthusiast on an enthusiast site.

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
Just because something can be done, doesnt mean it should be.

But yeah, thats just our way of saying "welcome to the club - you fuckng newb .. post prove it pics or shut up." Im just ******* with you because its funny, Ive been there many of times. Youre not the first one to try something different, if it succeeds or fails, at least you tried.

- Dan

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
I respect you for honoring his request but it is still a strange request among a bunch of enthusiast on an enthusiast site.
I've seen lots of people hide even minor things because it might give them a tiny advantage over everyone else. Not everyone is willing to share what they know, some just have to keep secrets to stay unique.

·
Super Moderator
17,150 Posts
I've seen lots of people hide even minor things because it might give them a tiny advantage over everyone else. Not everyone is willing to share what they know, some just have to keep secrets to stay unique.
I can respect that, on the other hand when one starts several threads asking others to publicly give away what might be their unique project details while provide nothing in return... eh, expect to expect to rip what you sew :tongue:

Seriously though, I really am happy to hear the Mustang pedals are legit. I'm impressed.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
re

Well, why are you so angry xr7?
I considered you a friend
My friends also call me Woodman
After all this, I will never speak of anything again, ok.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I don't understand this.

This is a place to exchange information about things we all care about, MN-12's and FN-10's. I have yet to see anyone on this board restrict access to the things they've done while still asking for assistance and advice.

I don't see XR-7 as being angry. I know I'm not angry. As I said, I already have an SC Clutch and Brake pedal, so I'm not going to go out and get Mustang pedals just to copy anyone. But, if it's a workable solution, and a unique one at that, why not share it with the rest of the community so that we can learn, perhaps enhance, and give us another option once the supply of SC pedals runs dry?

But hey, if you want to take your ball and go home, that's fine too. It's a free country.

·
Super Moderator
17,150 Posts
Geez my friends are usually thicker skinned. I think you're mistaking my curiosity for anger. Inquisitive minds must know.

I've noticed you're very quick to go on the defensive, and the post I quoted is case and point. I assumed the combination of my legitimate bewilderment by your asking questions about something(s) you have already in fact done, and woodman's similarly inquisitive followup post, there was some sort of perceived name calling that was going on given the tone of the rest of that post. Nevermind in that case.

If that's how you feel, I'm sorry, but thus far your speaking has been cryptic at best regarding what you've actually done and defended by waxing poetic about freedom and the scientific method. I'm impressed with your pedal swap, I really am, the whole forum should be given the years upon years questioning the feasibility of that conversion method here, but it's been like pulling teeth to get it out of you for some reason, and the fact that you actually request it not be shared really doesn't give you any right to question something like friendship. This is a community, possibly a stronger one than ever with the few true diehards holding out, so holding back information when we're all to happy to share at request is a bit disrespectful.

·
Super Moderator
7,558 Posts
Glockman, don't get too offended at people asking for these pics. You have to understand the history of what you have done. Papajohn did the first MN12 T45 swap back in 1998 or 99. At that time, he declared that a Mustang pedal was all but impossible, and this is a guy who fabricated a lot of things for the swap, and had access to a tig welder and a machine shop. Fast forward a couple years and Josh Skidonenko shows up on this forum around 2001 claiming to have a 91 5.0 tbird with a T5 swap using a Mustang pedal assembly. He never posted pics of it, and after a couple years on here, he posted a pic of the bird, wrecked, and stated that a dump truck hit it while parked and he swapped the drivetrain into a fox body mustang. Around 2003 or 04 I tried to do the swap with a Mustang pedal, and gave up, at which time I pioneered the S10 slave setup that has been used by many on this board since due to its external slave setup and readily available replacement parts. Around 06 or 07, Mechman1984 also tried to do a swap with a Mustang pedal and gave up. Around the same time, Slidebird claimed to have a Mustang pedal assembly in his T45 swap. As it turned out, he had a shop do the swap instead of doing it himself, and he never posted any pics of the pedal setup, so who knows what they actually used. Now here we are in 2016, 18 years after it was declared impossible by the person who first accomplished a 5-speed swap into a 4.6 MN12. In all that time, we have seen photos, videos, and proof of MN12s with 5 and 6 speed swaps, Terminator Cobra swaps, big block swaps, supercharged and turbocharged 2V and 4V setups, Coyote swaps, back-halved solid axle conversion cars, MN12s running 9s in the quarter mile, even one with an LS/4L60 swap, but nobody has come back in all that time with photos of a 5-speed MN12 running a Mustang clutch pedal. You come along and say you have done it, but don't post pics, and 18 years of wanting to know how it is done all comes down on you like a ton of bricks.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts