TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What exactly is a Thuunderbird SC??

I've seen it listed as meaning any 89-97 Thuunderbird regardless of engine.

But then again I've also seen it listed as meaning only the 3.8 Supercharged Thunderbirds. I mean SC is short for supercharged so it makes sense, kina :confused: :D

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
A Thunderbird SC is any Thunderbird produced from 89 to 95 with the Supercharged 3.8 liter V6 engine. t\They could be had with an automatic or an available 5-speed. they also had nicer interiors, stiffer springs and sway bars, electronic ride control, and larger 16" wheels. The bodies were slightly different with different bumpers and ground effects on each side.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
SC, though it also happens to be the acronym for SUPERCHARGED, stands for Super Coupe, identified as having a supercharged 3.8L 215hp/315tq engine.
The 94-95 models got a considerable bump in HP to 230hp/330tq thanks to a redesigned Eaton M90 supercharger.
Produced only from 1989-1995, they are the rarest type of 89-95 Thunderbird.
Most desirable are the 94-95 models, particularly in 5-speed form.

The SCs were also the only MN12 platform thunderbirds to receive a manual transmission.
They were dropped in 1995 because of their lack of an OBD II computer to run the engine when OBD II became MANDATORY in the US starting 1996.

The Cougar XR7 is more difficult to figure out, but if I recall correctly only 89-90s are supercharged, and the rest are either 5.0L, 4.6L or 3.8L, but were all called XR7.

·
Registered
132 Posts
The_Ghost said:
SC, though it also happens to be the acronym for SUPERCHARGED, stands for Super Coupe, identified as having a supercharged 3.8L 215hp/315tq engine.
The 94-95 models got a considerable bump in HP to 230hp/330tq thanks to a redesigned Eaton M90 supercharger.
Produced only from 1989-1995, they are the rarest type of 89-95 Thunderbird.
Most desirable are the 94-95 models, particularly in 5-speed form.

The SCs were also the only MN12 platform thunderbirds to receive a manual transmission.
They were dropped in 1995 because of their lack of an OBD II computer to run the engine when OBD II became MANDATORY in the US starting 1996.

The Cougar XR7 is more difficult to figure out, but if I recall correctly only 89-90s are supercharged, and the rest are either 5.0L, 4.6L or 3.8L, but were all called XR7.
That's all pretty much right on except the earlier model SC's (89-93) and supercharged 89/90 XR7's were rated at 210 H.P and 315 lb/ft

·
Registered
557 Posts
'89-'92 Cougars came in 2 models, the LS and the Xr7.
'89-'90, the LS came with the NON SC 3.8, the Xr7 with the SC 3.8

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok then so what designation does a 4.6 V8 T-Bird from 89-97 have??? (or what ever years the 4.6 was available from).

And I guess is there a dedicated forum for them, or is it used grouped in with others??

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
The 5.0 was introduced in 92 (I believe) and was replaced by the 4.6 in 94.

Pretty much any T-bird that isn't a "SC" is an "LX". Well, to be honest, I'm not sure when Ford started using the "LX" in conjunction with the T-bird. Anyone else?

There was a "Sport" available in 92, and then again in 96-97. However only the 92 Got a "Sport" badge. In 96-97 a Sport was an option that included some suspension and braking upgrades but no badges or other appearance items.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Actually, I think the 5.0 was made avaliable in '91

I think in 94 (I could be wrong) all T-birds became badged "Thunderbird LX" The 89-93 could be the base, with the 3.8 non S/C. I'm not sure about the 5.0, though

·
Registered
185 Posts
the S C stands for Super Coupe the super stands for supercharged.

all S C's came with a 3.8 litre v 6 with a m90 eaton supercharger the,

89 5 spd had the best camshaft the 92-95s had the starighter flowing exh via revised fuel tank.

92-95 had 70mm maf 94-95 had better exh manifolds coated rotors in a revised blower with rectangled opening .

and 36" really 34 lbs injectors" and a claimed 25 hp gain in hp over earlier SC's though the fastest sc ive seen was a early one in stock form .

later Sc's had traction assist early ones had trac lok so later Sc's did one wheel burnouts or had brakes applied when taking off not so good for drag racing.

the 94-95 5 spds had a revised transmission with different gear ratio on first gear

oh yeah in 90 there was a 35th anniversary edition very much in demand.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok then, as there's a "supercoupe" and a "turbocoupe" forum where should I go to post about V8 T-Birds pref 96/7?

Ta.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts

·
Baby Huey
3,210 Posts
there is a 4.6 forum and a 5.0 forum

·
Registered
132 Posts
mannysc said:
later Sc's had traction assist early ones had trac lok so later Sc's did one wheel burnouts or had brakes applied when taking off not so good for drag racing.the 94-95 5 spds had a revised transmission with different gear ratio on first gearoh yeah in 90 there was a 35th anniversary edition very much in demand.
Actually manny, only 94/5 automatics came with traction assist and an open differential (one wheel wonder's) but 94/5 five speeds came with trac-lok differentials just like all 89-93 SC's did. No traction assist. Also with 94/5 five speeds, the first three gears are a slightly higher ratio than the earlier model five speeds, not just first gear.

·
Registered
955 Posts
the S C stands for Super Coupe the super stands for supercharged.

all S C's came with a 3.8 litre v 6 with a m90 eaton supercharger the,

89 5 spd had the best camshaft the 92-95s had the starighter flowing exh via revised fuel tank.

92-95 had 70mm maf 94-95 had better exh manifolds coated rotors in a revised blower with rectangled opening .

and 36" really 34 lbs injectors" and a claimed 25 hp gain in hp over earlier SC's though the fastest sc ive seen was a early one in stock form .

later Sc's had traction assist early ones had trac lok so later Sc's did one wheel burnouts or had brakes applied when taking off not so good for drag racing.

the 94-95 5 spds had a revised transmission with different gear ratio on first gear

oh yeah in 90 there was a 35th anniversary edition very much in demand.
WOW, good info!!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts