TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys well i have the option to pick up a very clean 89 SC with a rebuilt 5 speed, but no engine. Anyone have any feedback on what else can be shoehorned in that baby to get it rolling again? Obviously another 3.8 SC engine, but any thoughts on something else, 4.6, 5.0 , or thoughts on the cheapest route to go? Just looking to possibly make it a screw around track car for a couple guys, split costs.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I'm no expert but without changing transmissions you're looking at a 3.8SC or 302/351 if you're going to strip the electrics and go track only. 4.6 bell housing pattern is different.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Even with the 3.8SC, the cam is different depending on if it was destined for an automatic or 5-speed. Just something to keep in mind...

At least that's what I recall hearing in one of these dry boring Ford tech videos.

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=95369

·
Registered
282 Posts
Southpaw said:
Even with the 3.8SC, the cam is different depending on if it was destined for an automatic or 5-speed. Just something to keep in mind...

At least that's what I recall hearing in one of these dry boring Ford tech videos.

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=95369
The are some years/tranny options that had different grinds, but not enough to worry about.

You can swap in a 302/351 block or as several have done, 460 based block.

·
Registered
4,923 Posts
Yeah, the 89 Manual had a slightly more agressive cam .. all the rest should be the same for both autos and manuals.

- Dan

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
I checked those cam specs. Comical to say more aggresive.

A 5.0 would be a fun choice. However the SC is fun too and it's ready for the 3.8 now.

·
Premium Member
8,978 Posts
I'm no expert but without changing transmissions you're looking at a 3.8SC or 302/351 if you're going to strip the electrics and go track only. 4.6 bell housing pattern is different.
Not completely true. The first two years of Grand Marquis and Crown Victoria's had a block with the 5.0/3.8 bellhousing pattern. The block is Iron though, but is not a bad thing, still weighs about the same as the 5.0. And they came with an AOD (reason why the used the bolt pattern probably.)
-Thomas

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
go with a 5.0 its less work than any of the other options other than a 3.8 s/c

·
Premium Member
8,978 Posts
a 5.0 would be cool, and you can buy a painless wiring harness to wire it all for FI. Or you could also swap in a 4.3L turbo, or a built supercoupe engine, or an older iron 4.6 with PI heads, cams, and intake, there are many options.
-Thomas

·
Registered
185 Posts
I checked those cam specs. Comical to say more aggresive.

A 5.0 would be a fun choice. However the SC is fun too and it's ready for the 3.8 now.
well he did say slightly the 89 5spd cam is the best of the stock cams.
but what do i know Im relativly new to this stuff.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
[/URL][/IMG]What??? I am new to this stuff. I still learn something every day,

i know the 89 cam is best of stockers get a 89 cam cut 50 thousanths off the bottom side opposite lobe. get longer pushrods viola you get what we used to run when no cams were available . my sc has one in it now .

self ported heads,
self made intake plenum,
self made raised top,
self ported blower,
self made 10% crank pully,
self made 5% jackshaft pully,
self made return plenum,
self made lower intake,
self made double intercooler ,
self made inverted blower setup,
self ported exh manifolds,
75mm bbk tb,
self ported maf, ]
42 lbs inj,
13.98 @101 done on half the parts listed. and 30 lbs inj.

so as you can see im new to this stuff.:D

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
wow lots of feedback on this, now i just need an engine anyone have a 3.8sc 302 or 351 that they want to get off of their hands? Hopefully somewhat close to ohio would be nice, but if not, road trip!

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
93 s/c engine with 128,xxx popped a spark plug before it got parted

·
Registered
59 Posts
Just in case you haven't made up your mind yet...

After having to tear into a SC 3.8 that I'm parting out...go with a 5.0

Not saying the SC 3.8 isn't a good engine, but in my limited experience it's a PITA to work on, even doing basic things like changing spark plugs is a chore.

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
How about a setup like this ?

or...

oh would that be nice in 5 speed

·
Premium Member
8,978 Posts
grand national engines? lol The Ford v6 is getting to the point of the same potential level as the GN 3.8 based engines are, plus you could keep Ford in the car :)
-Thomas

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
grand national engines? lol The Ford v6 is getting to the point of the same potential level as the GN 3.8 based engines are, plus you could keep Ford in the car :)
-Thomas
:rolleyes:

The 3.8 GN is a different animal from a n/a v6

·
Premium Member
8,978 Posts
Who said anything about N/A?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts