TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if the Scanguage II will fully work with my 96 Thunderbird? I was looking around for a device that could tell me my mpg and other stuff in real time and this was the only one I could find but I'm not sure if it works with my car.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
It should work on any OBDII car. For the money, you can almost get a XCal2 tuner that will do the same thing (with a Laptop of course).

·
3rd Gear Chirper
2,399 Posts
I have a ScanGauge 2 and it works great with my 97. Only one minor issue and I know it's related to the car and not the SG2...when I first installed the unit it displayed zero fuel flow when the engine was off, now it shows .2 GPH with the engine off, and works normally when running. No big deal, I would like to correct it though. I will be sending mine in to be updated with the latest software that allows Ford-specific parameters such as trans oil temp to be displayed...maybe that issue will clear up with the installation of new software.

I haven't had a chance to use it much. I installed it in November 06, blew my engine in December 06 and the car has been under the knife ever since, lol.

·
3rd Gear Chirper
2,399 Posts
Here's a picture of mine, I have it mounted permanently in place there but I think I'll make it removable for anti-theft purposes. Here it's showing fuel flow, fuel pressure, intake air temp, and system voltage. Fuel flow is in Gallons Per Hour, Intake Air Temp is -40 as the sensor is not installed and therefore the EEC has no clue as to the real temp, Fuel Pressure is not monitored on the early 4.6's and I am just using that indicator as a placeholder for my trans temp once the gauge comes back.

·
Registered
129 Posts
looks like a nifty little gedget but I bet half the people in here would rather spend the money on some go power lol

·
Registered
157 Posts
I bought the first generation (Scan Gauge I) for my 96 back when they were only about $100.

It tends to be a little generous with mileage estimates during the winter months, but it's always dead on during the summer. It also offers an adjustment to calibrate it if you find the reading to be consistently off.

I love it. I've used it to read and clear codes, experiment with improving economy, and the digital coolant reading showed that things were heating up almost immediately when my intake popped. before the dash gauge showed any change at all.

I'm not sure the new version is worth the extra money just to have a choice of screen colors and smaller size, but I can definitely attest to the quality of the product.

·
3rd Gear Chirper
2,399 Posts
But the second generation also offers the ability to monitor specific parameters depending on your vehicle, such as transmission oil temp, % converter slip, and fuel trim. The earlier second gen like mine needs to be sent back to Linear-Logic for the update (costs $25) but the newer ones ship with the updated firmware already installed.

Besides, if it wasn't for the smaller size of the new ones, I wouldn't have been able to install mine where I did. :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just got my Scangauge II in, so far so good, its really neat how it shows all the info while I'm driving. Now I have to figure out where to mount it..

·
Registered
157 Posts
But the second generation also offers the ability to monitor specific parameters depending on your vehicle, such as transmission oil temp, % converter slip, and fuel trim. The earlier second gen like mine needs to be sent back to Linear-Logic for the update (costs $25) but the newer ones ship with the updated firmware already installed.

Besides, if it wasn't for the smaller size of the new ones, I wouldn't have been able to install mine where I did. :)
Hmm,,, it might be time for me to upgrade. The size and ugliness of the old one doesn't really bug me, but those extra parameters sound pretty nice.

·
3rd Gear Chirper
2,399 Posts
Yes, I want the added functionality also. I don't have room for an analog trans oil temp gauge, so I kinda need to do this, lol.

According to their website, it's also possible to program the SG2 so that values normally displayed on the Trip screen can be displayed on the Gauge screen instead.

·
Registered
157 Posts
That sounds really nice too. It can be kind of a pain to switch back and forth all the time.
I like how they keep adding more functionality to it without necessarily forcing you to buy a new one.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts