TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my freind Bob was driving home yesterday when he did something stupid. A bus stopped in the middle of the road. Bob thought it was slowing down for a turn, so he got in the other lane, not speeding. The bus stopped and put it's lights on and sign out. Bob didn't have time to stop. He ran past the bus. The bus pulled up next to Bob. Feeling like a moron, Bob waved and said sorry to the bus driver, who didn't look pleased. Can or will the bus driver report Bob for this? Is Bob screwed? :confused:

·
Baby Huey
3,210 Posts
So "Bob" is now at the will of the bus driver. The bus driver will probably not do anything. Wish "Bob" the best of luck for me. LOL :tongue:

·
Registered
653 Posts
The bus driver has every right to report your friend. You're supposed to always assume the bus is going to stop to drop off or pick up kids. When I was in high school, my bus ended up getting hit by some teen in a red sports car. There have also been several other instances where someone was injured or nearly injured because of someone not stopping for a bus.

General rule of thumb: If you see red lights on a bus, treat it like a stop light.

·
Pedal Faster
2,658 Posts
I can remember being in middle school and my bus driver calling in license plates and info on cars that ran his lights. Seeing that "Bob" really was sorry and was apparently not really driving recklessly, maybe nothing will come of it.

·
Registered
789 Posts
So at what speed did Bob, "not have time to stop"? On any road where a bus is stopping to pick up/drop off, it's not going to be more than 45. I'm guessing more like 30 in this case. You can stop from 30 in the length of the bus. If he saw the sign come out, he had time to stop. Unless he was already passing it, in which case the bus was not already stopped, there would be no kids getting off yet. I think Bob screwed up and is making excuses. (like when I told the cop it was cold, and I was shivering, making my foot slide off the brake, that's why I rolled the stop sign in front of him.)

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
:angel2: Speak for yourself :angel2: hehehehehe

·
Registered
344 Posts
As pathetic as it sounds i am in training to become a bus driver:rolleyes: , so to anser your question you could get in trouble if he got your plates and reported you. Chances of the driver doing that are slim if the kids were not exiting the bus yet..

Jon

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
Palmguy said:
Wouldn't stand up.
Yeah, but if cops get a few complaints about someone they'll put them on their sh*t list....not where you want to be.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Rally said:
General rule of thumb: If you see red lights on a bus, treat it like a stop light.
I think the point was the lights weren't on until it was too late to stop....

Cops can't do JACK about someone running a bus's red lights unless they actually see it happen, so the driver can report it if he wants, but the cops can't do anything.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
nickmckinney said:
However your friend merely has to deny it 100% since there was no collision and it would never stand up in court............
So much for taking responsibility for one's actions.... :leftright

Go ahead, lie in court.... always a good idea. Who do you think a judge will believe? :2huh:

Sort of says a lot about someone's character. :zbash:

Maybe things have changed, but when I was in school, our school bus had yellow and red lights. When the bus is slowing down, a partial "pop" of the door handle would turn on the yellow lights. Which means the bus is getting ready to stop and you're supposed to be ready to stop. Then when the bus stopped, the door opened, the red ligths came on, and the little "stop sign" pops out.

But hey, maybe in the last 25 years things have changed. :leftright

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
94 Daily Driven 4.6L said:
But hey, maybe in the last 25 years things have changed. :leftright
When I was growing up, cars had turn signals too. Most of them don't now adays. ;) Point is, don't count out laziness about the yellow lights having been turned on.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
ShadowDragon said:
When I was growing up, cars had turn signals too. Most of them don't now adays. ;) Point is, don't count out laziness about the yellow lights having been turned on.
Good point! So I guess the lack of using turn signals isn't just an AL phenomenon!! :beek:

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
gecko2424 said:
So at what speed did Bob, "not have time to stop"? On any road where a bus is stopping to pick up/drop off, it's not going to be more than 45. I'm guessing more like 30 in this case. You can stop from 30 in the length of the bus. If he saw the sign come out, he had time to stop. Unless he was already passing it, in which case the bus was not already stopped, there would be no kids getting off yet. I think Bob screwed up and is making excuses. (like when I told the cop it was cold, and I was shivering, making my foot slide off the brake, that's why I rolled the stop sign in front of him.)

the posted limit on the Highway where I live is 60mph and the local School bus makes many stops along this highway. Remember, COUNTRY children need to get to school too.:D

·
Who is John Galt?
6,476 Posts
94 Daily Driven 4.6L said:
Good point! So I guess the lack of using turn signals isn't just an AL phenomenon!! :beek:
It's also phenomenon in Indiana/Illinois/Tennessee/Kentucky/Georgia/North Carolina/Ohio . . . do I need to go on?

(Not picking on just these states, they're just the ones I've lived in/driven in recently.)

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
cougar_guy04 said:
It's also phenomenon in Indiana/Illinois/Tennessee/Kentucky/Georgia/North Carolina/Ohio . . . do I need to go on?

(Not picking on just these states, they're just the ones I've lived in/driven in recently.)

I think turn signals are an option on cars sold here. Also I dont know about there, but buses here dont put on the lights till they stop the the sign and arm pop out.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts