TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Dim Bulb
3,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so maybe it's just me, but I'm thinking I could get a really good deal on some edumacation... I just started a new job working as a paint prepper for (obviously) a painter, to which I'm hoping I can actually get into doing some paint work. In having worked at an autobody collision center, and now moving into a paint shop, with some persuasion from my parents I stopped by a local votec school for a collision/refinishing course. They've got a 4-qtr certificate, and a 6-quarter degree (with certificate), plus any social sciences etc (already have those). The full 2-year AAS degree works out to be about $4,900, tool and books are estimated at about $5,200 or so, all in all it works out to be about 10k for a two year degree, I'd keep all my tools, and learn in an environment with all up-to-date equipment. If I apply for FAFSA and get the full PELL grant amount (which is probably fairly feasible at this point), I'd be elligble for I think $1,350 per quarter, and I'd only be out about 4-5k for my degree. So given the circumstances, price, etc, what do you guys think about the deal?

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Usually, there are alternative loans that you can apply for, other grants from the school, etc to help off set the cost of schooling. At ISU, a resident pays somewhere around $14K per year in tuition, room/board, etc. I have enough loans (some I pay interest on) to fully cover that cost each year. There are definately places out there that will get you money to get an education.

Joe

·
Dim Bulb
3,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I could definately get a school loan if I had to. I can always apply for scholarships and pay some outta pocket, and if all else fails, though I REALLY don't want to, I've got stocks I could sell off. Whitecoug, are you near Thomas Abney, ever been through class with him?

·
Beer and Cheese
7,386 Posts
You could all ways join the Air National Guard (one weekend a month and two weeks a year), and get the GI bill and kicker; basically they would pay you to go to school. I'm going part time right now for my AD in fire science, I all ready have my FF 1 and 2 so now just need to take the general ed classes. The AF is paying for every thing, some thing to think about. Plus what ever job you choose you can get college credits for Basic training and the job you decide to go with. If you have any questions..You have my aim

Thanks,

Josh:)

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Falcon5783 said:
Yeah I could definately get a school loan if I had to. I can always apply for scholarships and pay some outta pocket, and if all else fails, though I REALLY don't want to, I've got stocks I could sell off. Whitecoug, are you near Thomas Abney, ever been through class with him?
Yup, sure am. He lives on the other side of town from me, but we get together now and again. Don't have class with him, I think he said he was heading back to DMAC this semester, and I'm going to ISU.

Joe

·
Registered
208 Posts
el, i hate school....its midnight and i just got home from chicago and i have to be up in less than 6 hours with no sleep, gahh...

but whatever your talking about sounds like a good deal...thumbs up from me

·
Dim Bulb
3,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
whitecoug said:
Yup, sure am. He lives on the other side of town from me, but we get together now and again. Don't have class with him, I think he said he was heading back to DMAC this semester, and I'm going to ISU.

Joe
Make sure to kick him squa in the nuts for me, he hasn't been around in a while. How do you like your college? He was trying to recruit me to look into it a while ago lol

Thanks Steph, glad you had a good day, sleep well

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Well, it's alright for a school I guess. I'm an Ag Engr, and we have one of the top 3 programs nation wide, so it's pretty decent. We keep getting increases in tution and now have a special engineering fee, so it keeps getting more expensive. Thus, I have decided to take summer classes just to be done next May.

Joe

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I say go for it. Though Ive been getting screwed around for the past two years by my college, got screwed outta 3 classes so I have to take two over the summer and one sometime after, among other things there. But It will be worth it, and I got a good deal on a line of credit from my bank so it wont be too bad when Im done, bout 10k I figure total almost no interest and very easy payment terms. The guys I went to HS with all wish theyd gone too ( Im the only one)

·
Dim Bulb
3,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Blue what kinda school are you going to and what are you persuing?

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
My bro is going to school for Auto Collision Repair. It's pretty good. He's thinking of either working in a shop and maybe starting his own shop after a while, or being a claims adjuster. He wants to live in Columbia with his fiance, so there should be plenty of work with either route. So if you don't want to work on cars, you can work for an insurance agency. That'll keep your options open.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts