TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Again i am pondering the college idea, my sister was doing the periodic table and it reminded me how much i liked science. I am not sure how college works, but what all classes would I need to get into the science field, and what all postions inquires science? like what jobs are available?

·
8,239 Posts
cool man, call your local community college and ask them to send you a class catalog, you can read through all the descriptions and see what interests you.

Then talk to the financial aid person, and you can get state aid and tuition assistance if you qualify (most folks do)

JH

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Your not going to find much in the science field at a community college. They can give you a general start in the right direction but you will more than likely need to go to a university to get the knowledge needed to be in that line of work.

What are you interested in? Science has a very broad base. You have many choices.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
AEDM8 said:
Science has a very broad base. You have many choices.

That is the truth. Good luck.....if you want something easier....there are all kinds of biology degrees out there. :D Chemistry is bit harder to go through, but very doable if you are willing to spend time on it. You might be able to take a General Chem, biology (not biological science either), and maybe Organic chem at a community college, but make sure that you check out what transfers over to the university that you want to attend because it can suck to have to take a class over again just because the university/colleges can't agree on courses (most community college classes aren't at the level that university courses are). I know a bunch of people that have been able to slip in an Organic Chem in summer classes at a Community college and get away with it transferring. :eek: The community college program is much easier, so if you could get some classes there first it will be cheaper if you can't get a scholarship/grant.

Russ

·
Registered
1,198 Posts

·
PostSkank
3,231 Posts
ITHURTZ said:
wow alotta things.. And i though science was science! I better start thinking harder

I wouldnt think too hard about it just yet if you can avoid it, I know I pigeon holed myself when I started college, now that I figured out what I really want to do, I'm playing catch up.

Check out the community colleges to get started on. Let your counselors know what you want to do, they WILL help you get set on the right track. CCs are ALOT cheaper too.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Chemistry...:shudder: Biology is probably the easiest general science, if you're just looking for a science degree. Personally, I like physics the best, but I don't know how good you are at math, physics involves quite a bit of calculus. Also, you don't necessarily have to get a straight science degree. You can also consider engineering. You'll take most of the same classes, but the aim is being able to apply the scientific principles you learn in a design, instead of preparing you to do research. Mechanical engineering is my major, BTW. College can be tough but if you can handle it, IMO it's the way to go.

·
Registered
313 Posts
You could go into all kinds of stuff man. My fiance is a chemistry major, she's goin to pharmacy school next year.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ya i hate math lol (except for business math i took as a blowoff class junior year, so easy!) I like biology, I got an A in the class no problem. I guess it just boils down to if a science job would be fun, Chemistry was fun, I got to set alot of things on fire. BUt I doubt I can get a job where I can just set things on fire..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts