TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
MAMN12 Posse Member
2,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my hood on today that I got from SCP. I was worried considering all the horror stories that you hear about these things....but it wasn't nearly as bad as everyone makes them out to be. I bet we didn't spend any more than 30-45 minutes putting it on. It lined up nearly perfectly from the start, just minor adjustments with the hinges. I was also amazed that even with the solid motor mounts, I didn't have to do anything to the inside of the hood, it cleared the blower and inlet tube.

A company called Fiber Concepts is making them now, seems to be better quality.

·
Registered
970 Posts
which hood did you get? I see SCP has the straight cowl listed for the 94-95 cars. I didn't think anyone made that hood anymore.

gonna have to see some pics!

·
CEO, WT Club
2,648 Posts
Pics?

-Joel

·
Registered
262 Posts
Top side looks real nice, and it's good to know you didn't have to remanufacture the hood to get it on the car.

Q & A time! How is the finish on the underside out of the crate? Will it open all the way without hitting the wiper blades? How long was the turn around time from order to delivery?

I've read a few horror stories here and on SCCoA with just about anything but a Cervini. Bad fit, long wait time, etc., etc. Just never been been quite pleased with the look of a Cervini on a '93. I've seen the cowl hoods on the SCP site, but hadn't run across anyone who has actually bought one. Any info is greatly appreciated.

That is all...

·
MAMN12 Posse Member
2,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. The underside finish was surprisingly better than I thought. I figured it would be unfinished and raw. It's actually sanded really smooth and painted gloss black (shame they couldn't have done the top). Granted you still have the bracing and such showing. I'll try to get a pic in the morning before I go to work, but might have to wait til tomorrow evening. From the time I ordered it, to the time the trucking company called me to say they had it, was about 3-3.5 weeks...they ship out of PA for the record. Getting it on the car was a piece of cake. Fitting everything else was a little more tedious. The wipers are just fine, it doesn't even get close to rubbing them, though it is a trick to get them back on their posts. You will have to make some adjustments to the wiper cowl however. On the driver side, you'll have to sand some away from the "bump" on the wiper cowl. I found it easiest to use a dremel tool to do this. The passenger side needs a little more sanding. So I found it easier to remove the material from the wiper cowl. I just used the dremel tool and trimmed down the "fins" on the heater intake. I'll try to get pics of all this too. Also, that rubber strip that goes the width of the car on the wiper cowl can't be used. I mean it probably could, but it was a little too tight for my liking. I doubt I'll be driving the car in the rain now anyway. Again, I'll try to get pics of all this to make it less wordy. Sounds like a lot, but I just tried to be in depth. Car's all finished up now. Not the greatest pic....but you get the idea...looks good and fast too, lol...

·
Registered
262 Posts
JeffTBird93 said:
No... thank you! I appreciate all the info and quick reply. I mentioned to my brother about the SCP hoods about a month ago and have been wondering about it ever since. I just want more room for a better intake on the 5.oh or maybe enough room for a Blozilla someday. I need a hood that I won't have to re-invent or remanufacture to get it to fit on the car.

The moulding removal and a little grinding on the cowl is understandable. But some of the posts I've read where guys have had to cut and trim the hood and spend a lot of time finishing it after dropping $400.00 or more + crating + shipping isn't my idea of "fun".

I usually try to check the new posts every day, but your's must have slipped through at this end. The second half of my signature is my alibi... senility is an alibi, not an excuse! (LOL)

Thanks again... looks like the SCP cowl is the winner!

That is all...

·
MAMN12 Posse Member
2,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
96CougarXR7 said:
Looks good. Is it functional? And about how much does it weigh?
Nope, not functional. This is the car with the Vortech so the filter is in the fenderwell. Also worth noting that this hood clears the whole engine and Vortech setup, even with solid motor mounts.

Not sure on the weight, didn't bother to weigh it, but it's a little lighter.

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
yeah.. too bad not avail for 96-97s.. or are they?

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
ya, ok.. but looks like a 94-95 front end from here

·
MAMN12 Posse Member
2,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yep, you're both right. It's a 95, but I did the headlight swap, gives it that little extra "mean" look. Here's a better pic.

I've still got the wheels. They're tucked away in the garage. They'll never see the winter roads around here.

·
Resident Gun Guru
672 Posts
Where did you get your hood from ?

I've seen these hoods available by a couple companies. I've heard some nightmare stories too, concerning fitting of them.

Yes James, it is available for 96-97..........dont have the links in front of me, I'm at my wifes, on my sons computer..........I'll catch up to ya later with them.

Had my eye on this hood for a year :) I love it ! :)

·
MAMN12 Posse Member
2,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Fitment pics as promised...

Underside of hood. Ignore the specs and stuff, it's just dirty. When clean it's nice and black...

Pic of the rubber strip I mentioned that needs to be removed...

The "bump" on the driver side that you have to remove material from the hood to get to fit....and how tight it is...

Shot of how I trimmed the fins down...

Top-side shot of the fins...

Overall shot of the back...

Any other questions...ask away!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts