TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was a new one to me but according to the police it is common. We have had some bad roof leaks during the past few rain storms, yesterday our maintenance guy went up on the roof and discovered that 9 of our roof top A/C units were gutted. The officer also mentioned that this has happened to other area businesses and that another item high in theft is railroad spikes which to me seems dangerous for the trains. It is amazing what people do for money.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
People die while scrapping. In the Detroit area, they electro themselves trying to steal wire.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Yeah I see this all the time in rental property. They steal the a/c and heat pumps (sometimes the night they are installed) and sell them to the scrap yards. The scrap yards are suppose to report suspicious transactions but there are shady dealers out there.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Here when the power goes out, they actually steal the wire off the damn poles. :D Just once I want some homeowner to see it and have a generator hooked into the main line and say FRY!!!! as they hit the switch to the genny lol.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Yeah I see this all the time in rental property. They steal the a/c and heat pumps (sometimes the night they are installed) and sell them to the scrap yards. The scrap yards are suppose to report suspicious transactions but there are shady dealers out there.
I had a friend who owned some Section-8 apartments. He said he had to factor aluminum screen doors into the cost of rental because more often than not, the tenants would take it with them whenever they moved out.

-g

·
Super Moderator
9,175 Posts
Just once I want some homeowner to see it and have a generator hooked into the main line and say FRY!!!! as they hit the switch to the genny lol.
A buddy of mine was actually telling me about an instance when a friend of his lost his garage because of that. He had a 220 female plug into his main, hooked up his generator when the power went out and started it up. A short time later, his garage was on fire. So here his 5xxx watt generator is trying to feed the whole grid, overloads, overheats, burns... all that because he forgot to flip the main breaker. :facepalm: I guess it was a hard lesson learned...

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
LOL at my old job, they used to break into cars all the time to steal stuff.

At one time, they were taking catalytic converters off cars - it was funny when one of my bosses started up her Jeep and it was LOUD, I looked under the car - no cat .. yep, they stole it. She replace it, and a week later ... they stole it again !!

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Thing is...it isn't scrap until the tear it apart. An $8,000 dollar AC unit for $50 in copper. It is happening all over. Here they were stealing the grates off of roads and parking lots, leaving big open pits people got stuck in, something like a mile of street lights gutted, stuff like that, yeah.

·
PostWhore, The AFDB is on a lil tight.
3,868 Posts
Thing is...it isn't scrap until the tear it apart. An $8,000 dollar AC unit for $50 in copper. It is happening all over. Here they were stealing the grates off of roads and parking lots, leaving big open pits people got stuck in, something like a mile of street lights gutted, stuff like that, yeah.
WTF? I guess its not too bad here its all housing people are gutting. I mean in the west valley. I dont see anymore royal gut jobs. I still see empty houses though.

Scraping here is more likely worse than 2son just because its a bigger place here. Look at it like this I leave one chuck of anything metal outside my house its gone within a couple hours. One time pople took an OEM exhaust and iron diff case from the side of my house. Worth 3 dollars LOL not a speck of copper or alumium on it. MORONS!!! Another time my neighbor told me he had cut some steel stock bars to use a sign stakes and left them outside and they were gone the next day. Nearly worthless btw. So people dont resort to ruining public streets and lights here. THere are many people they can rob from. Aluminum cans are serious here. THe homeless all get them if not the guy living down the street from you. I see this guy who fills a truck bed with cans each week living near me.

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
I don't steal scrap metal, just want to get that out of the way.

Now, yall know how my racecar gets funded. They call me the copper hound here at work......anything, and everything that can be recylced, i take.

It really adds up in the end....

a couple months ago, my boss and I scrapped over 5400 dollars worth...split down the middle....easy money :)

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
They pay for any scrap metal, it doesn't need to be aluminum or copper, but they pay a lot more for those than iron. The place I take cans (yes, I save and sell aluminum cans, an easy 30 bucks every couple of months) now pays for plastic water bottles. I have seen people gathering these from the trash, and never knew why (I know you can recycle them, but not sell them for a profit, I am sure it takes a bunch for a pound, which I think was 45 cents a pound for them).

·
PostWhore, The AFDB is on a lil tight.
3,868 Posts
They pay for any scrap metal, it doesn't need to be aluminum or copper, but they pay a lot more for those than iron. The place I take cans (yes, I save and sell aluminum cans, an easy 30 bucks every couple of months) now pays for plastic water bottles. I have seen people gathering these from the trash, and never knew why (I know you can recycle them, but not sell them for a profit, I am sure it takes a bunch for a pound, which I think was 45 cents a pound for them).
Iron you need to be hauling it in by the ton to make money worthwhile, the gas cost just negates it anyway. No pick up is gonna hold more than 20 bucks worth lol. Bottles from water though thats interesting. I never see enough aluminu cans to recycle them.

Kinda nice to know AZ really scraps itself pretty well. People cant let junk build up because it will get taken LOL keeps the state cleaner really. No one is allowed to let junk build up anywhere. I like that part. Even houses here if no one is living in them they get scrapped LOL. Cars get the scrap treatment too. SO if people want to keep someting it get secured and under wraps. Dont know how it is in 2son but here its not a joke youre classic heap will get robbed from you if you arent careful.

The robbing for scrap thing gets out of hand here Im sure not endorsing that at all, not at all. But if you ever had the neighbor who wouldnt clean up their junk, well someone will do it for them here like it or not. I gotta say I like it that way. People even run their own scraps yard here in the ghetto areas, But they keep it tidy off public property and secured at least. Industrial areas have to secure their scrap heaps as well because they know someone will cme and take it all.

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
now pays for plastic water bottles. I have seen people gathering these from the trash, and never knew why (I know you can recycle them, but not sell them for a profit, I am sure it takes a bunch for a pound, which I think was 45 cents a pound for them).
Ive been recycling plastic bottles for over 15 years now ..

Currently, they pay 0.95 cents / pound for plastic or 10 cents each for the "Other" plastics.
Aluminum can CRV is up to $2.15 now. ;)

·
Super Moderator
10,392 Posts
I used to work at a place that sold typewriters in the early 80s.

We got a shipment of 100+ new models in, and I scrapped the cardboard for over $300. It was all white, and was worth more, iirc. We had several vanloads...

After that, I (and the truck driver) managed to scrap the old employee records they were disposing of; 2200lbs of white, high quality paper. They had records back to '46... We got over $500 for it; it made it worth sorting it. :)

Thinking back, I was on the clock for both of those adventures, lol. :D

A six of bud was $1.50 back then, so this was great money.

·
Super Moderator
4,898 Posts
I remember picking up pop bottles, cashing them in, and getting two or three gallons of gas to run a day or two.

Back when pop bottles were 5 cents each, and gas was about 35 cents a gallon.

RwP

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Its pretty big here as well. Alot of people were getting their cats stolen and ac's gutted or stolen completely.

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
talking with my electrician the other day, he says guys are buying new rolls of romex wire on sale or clearance, then waits till the market is high, and scrap it...thus making more money.

·
Raoul Duke
1,747 Posts
Some of the historic houses in Pittsburgh have copper gutters and/or downspouts, as well as aluminum. It amazes me how thieves will take risks in full view of neighbors to steal things.

A friend of mine bought an unoccupied house only to find out that people broke in a few days later to take all of the copper water lines from the basement.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts