TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
scp states that theses are "too hot for stock wires". i just replaced mine with mallory 8mm performance wires, will i be fine? and should i go ahead and gap my plugs at .065 or where should i gap them at?

·
Registered
799 Posts
I would say yea but im not 100% sure.. but im sure some one will chime in with a more definate answer..

·
Registered
623 Posts
Stock coil packs are more than adequate, very reliable, and cheaper. Save your money and put it towards something like gears, the 4v motors scream for 4.10s or numerically higher rear gears.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
not really cheaper.... scp has them for just under 100 for the pair and stock replacements at autozone are only a few dollars less.

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,781 Posts
Per RobertP do not gap them to .065 . Done the same with mine and it had a misfire at WOT. I think that Robert said to gap them at.051-.052 . did that and it ran much better :)

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Per RobertP do not gap them to .065 . Done the same with mine and it had a misfire at WOT. I think that Robert said to gap them at.051-.052 . did that and it ran much better :)
i believe under the hood it says .052-.056 or .054-.058 i have mine at .056 right now and no misfires at all.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
well from a business perspective, its a great line to use....there are just so many clueless people out there who can't do any research that they just buy into it and end up spending money needlessly because subconsciously they think that anything costing them a good amount of money has to be worth something

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well being as how the stock coil packs are nearing 100k i figure its time to replace before they go out and i've heard that the best aftermarket coilpacks were scremin demon, that msd was junk for our cars. these where only a few dollars more than stock replacements. i did not nessessarily purchase these for performance gain as i know if any gain is acheived it won't be much, i more bought these because its time for new ones.

·
Registered
623 Posts
My original coil packs have been on two motors, have 165k miles on them, and are still going strong. The factory units are very reliable, I'm sure there are people out there with many more miles on theirs than mine. However, I'm not saying your coil packs will not fail.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts