TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A representative from the St. Louis USO spoke to the mid-city Optimist Club
regarding the French anti-American sentiments, and the call to boycott French products.
France has every right to disagree with America, but France has moved from
simple dissent to active hostility toward toward America. French President
Chirac warned East European nations that if they sided with the US, France
would oppose their membership in the European Union. This very week,
William Safire reported in the New York Times that France has been secretly
helping to arm Iraq and has been helping Iraq build long range missiles.
These same missiles may now possibly be used against our own US soldiers.
Dominique Villepain, France's UN Ambassador, is asking that the USA not be
allowed to participate in the rebuilding of Iraq after the war (apparently
he knows what countries - or COUNTRY - would best be suited for the job!)
Just as France has exercized it's right to disagree, all Americans can
exercise their right to boycott products and countries that do not stand
with us.

> FRENCH PRODUCTS AND COMPANIES TO BOYCOTT:
>
> } Air France
>
> } Air Liquide
>
> } Airbus (airplanes in commercial use)
>
> } Alcatel
>
> } Allegra (allergy medication)
>
> } Aqualung (including: Spirotechnique, Technisub, US Divers and Seaquest
>
> } AXA Advisors
>
> } Bank of the West (owned by BNP Paribas)
>
> } Beneteau (boats)
>
> } BF Goodriach (owned by Michelin)
>
> } BIC (razors, pens and lighters)
>
> } Biotherm (cosmetics)
>
> } Black Bush
>
> } Bollinger (champagne)
>
> } Car & Driver Magazine
>
> } Cartier
>
> } Chanel
>
> } Chivas Regal Scotch
>
> } Christian Dior
>
> } Club Med (vacations)
>
> } Culligan (owned by Vivendi)
>
> } Dannon (yogurt and dairy foods)
>
> } DKNY
>
> } Dom Perignon (champagne)
>
> } Durand Crystal
>
> } Elle Magazine
>
> } Essilor Optical Products
>
> } Evian
>
> } Fina (petroleum products) and Fina Oil (billions invested in Iraqi oil
> fields)
>
> } First Hawaiian Bank
>
> } George Magazine
>
> } Givenchy
>
> } Glenlivet (Scotch)
>
> } Hennessy (liquor products)
>
> } Houghton Mifflin (books)
>
> } Jacobs Creek (owned by Pernod Ricard since 1989)
>
> } Jameson (whiskey)
>
> } Jerry Springer (talk show)
>
> } Krups (coffee and cappuccino makers)
>
> } Lancome - Le Creuset (cookware)
>
> } L'Oreal (health & beauty products)
>
> } Louis Vuitton
>
> } Marie Claire
>
> } Martel Cognac
>
> } Maybelline
>
> } Mephisto (shoes & clothes)
>
> } Michelin (tires & auto parts)
>
> } Mikasa (crystal & glass)
>
> } Moet (champagne)
>
> } Motel 6
>
> } Motown Records
>
> } MP3.com
>
> } Mumms (champagne)
>
> } Nissan (cars; majorityowned by Renault)
>
> } Nivea
>
> } Normandy Butter
>
> } Parents Magazine
>
> } Peugeot (automobiles)
>
> } Pierre Cardin
>
> } Playstation Magazine
>
> } ProScan (owned by Thomson Electronics - France)
>
> } Publicis Group (including Saatchi & Saatchi Advertising)
>
> } RCA (television & electronics owned by Thomson Electronics - France)
>
> } Red Magazine
>
> } Red Roof Inns (owned by Accor group in France)
>
> } Renault (automobiles)
>
> } Roquefort cheese (all Roquefort is made in France)
>
> } Rowenta (toasters, irons & coffee makers)
>
> } Royal Canadian
>
> } Salomon (skis)
>
> } Sierra Software & Computer Games
>
> } Smart & Final
>
> } Sofitel (hotels owned by Accor group)
>
> } Sparkletts (water, owned by Danone)
>
> } Spencer Gifts
>
> } Sundance Channel
>
> } Taylor Made (gold clubs & equipment)
>
> } Technicolor
>
> } T-Fal (kitchenware)
>
> } Total gas stations
>
> } UbiSoft (computer games)
>
> } Uniroyal (tires)
>
> } Universal Studios (music, movies and amusement parks owne by Vivendi)
>
> } US filter
>
> } Veritas Group
>
> } Veuve Clicquot (champagne)
>
> } Vittel
>
> } Vivendi
>
> } Wild Turkey (bourbon)
>
> } Woman's Day Magazine
>
> } Yoplait (The French company Sodiaal owns a 50% stake)
>
> } Yves Saint Laurent
>
> } Zodia Inflatable Boats
>
> Also, don't go to see any French films and don't rent or buy their
movies.

One of our members reported that they heard on the radio that sales of
French wines in the States have plummeted to such an extent that the
effect
on the French wine industry has been catastrophic. Evidently Americans
without any organized effort have decided at the personal level to hit the
French where it hurts.

Lastly, a French company was awarded a $700 million + contract to operate
the 55 mess halls of our US Marine facilities. Call your congressman and
ask that this be rescinded regardless of the cost. This is an absolute
insult to our Marines!

This boycott has been promoted by NewsMax's and has been frequently
mentioned by Bill O'Reilly on the "O'Reilly Factor". If you will send
this
to at least 10 friends and relatives with a request to also forward the
message, it is possible to reach 100 million people in a very short time.
GO NOW!:usa: :usa: :usa: :usa:
Mike

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I LOVE FRENCH BREAD!!!!!!!!!!

oh and a little side note... the spanish gov may support the war, but the people DO NOT. and i say this because i am in spain right now and there is antiwar banners, graffitti and whatnot every where we go. its a great feeling knowing that the whole world isnt stupid like the typical american. oh, and america is not the greatest country on earth. they may be the richest and have the most powerful military, but id much rather live in europe. it is so much more interesting and it is fun. people here are not arrogant nor ignorant like the typical american. so.. screw america in the war effort, i know its pretty much over but that doesnt change my veiws on it. -greg

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Seems to me that by boycotting those companies, we would be hurting our own economy. That sounds a bit stupid to me. :2huh:

The real question you have to ask yourself is, did the individual employees of those companies do anything to you? No. So why would you want to hurt them? And ultimately, if you reached your goal, they would lose their jobs.

My father sent me that from the frontline a week ago and I told him that while I love him, I could not support him in that. It's too short-sighted.

This boycott has been promoted by NewsMax's and has been frequently
mentioned by Bill O'Reilly on the "O'Reilly Factor". If you will send
this
to at least 10 friends and relatives with a request to also forward the
message, it is possible to reach 100 million people in a very short time.
Worst ploy on the internet, EVER. Most people, when they recieve e-mails such as this, delete them. You may reach 50 million e-mail accounts, but only 10 million eyes, and only 5 million people dense enough to believe it. This goes for any chain e-mail.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
glowing escape said:

oh and a little side note... the spanish gov may support the war, but the people DO NOT. and i say this because i am in spain right now and there is antiwar banners, graffitti and whatnot every where we go. its a great feeling knowing that the whole world isnt stupid like the typical american. oh, and america is not the greatest country on earth. they may be the richest and have the most powerful military, but id much rather live in europe. it is so much more interesting and it is fun. people here are not arrogant nor ignorant like the typical american. so.. screw america in the war effort, i know its pretty much over but that doesnt change my veiws on it. -greg
I love how you have to call the typical american stupid. I guess that means that me, being an american, am stupid. I guess then by going off what you said in your post, that most of the board members here must be stupid, ignorant, and arogant. Well that's your view and you're allowed to have it. While America may not be the greatest country in the world in your eyes, it may be to some people that don't have the freedoms we do. It may be to someone that doesnt have the opportunities we do. You tell me, which country is the greatest then? You can't answer that in a reasonable fashion, because, like the rest of us your views are biased on your experiences. If you say Europe is more interesting and it is fun, then what makes it that way, and how much of America have you explored? Every country has it's places that make it a unique, and beautiful place. Your views on America are close minded, as are probably alot of Americans views on other countries, I'm not going to argue that. But lets rethink the typical American statements you made, they are broad generalizations, and generally incorrect.

·
Moderator, Red Sox Nation Rabid Fan, TCCoAAC Found
3,165 Posts
> } Hennessy (liquor products)

boycott henny?! mannnnnnnnn thats pushing it...

·
Only you can prevent modular fires
1,446 Posts
at least Corona is made in Mexico :)
Fredom fries are still a go
and Fredom kissing is still the rage :)
God Bless America!

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
glowing escape said:

So you love French bread, and you think that europeans aren't arrogant? Go visit france. You can't judge an entire continent on a single country (spain). France has always hated us, and probably always will. Unless they can't tell you're American, they'll hate you, simply put. Walk into a french restaraunt and try to order food in english. I'll bet your service either sucks, or there's a 90% chance that the french around you will talk **** in french.

Go hang out with Michael Moore and the Dixie Chicks...I think Josh may be on to something ^^^

·
Registered
610 Posts
glowing escape said:

Tell you what, You renounce your citizenship in the USA and I will buy your plane ticket to Europe. Then you can be there with all your anti-american crowd.

Try talking crap like you do in other countrys. Hey, here's a thought, why not just stay there as the country doesn't need you....

·
Registered
397 Posts
Well, that's it... I'm dumping my BFG stock... :rolleyes:
Did you know BFG doesn't even make tires anymore? They just sold the name to michelin. In fact, BFG's main game right now is aerospace. They probably made parts for most of the helicopters that were used in that war. Unpatriotic assholes...

This whole thing is rediculous. What is this, the 1800s? Next thing you know, someone's gonna suggest we start burning books.

/me Goes back to reading his car and driver, drinking his wild turkey, and watching jerry springer on his RCA tv.

And glowing escape, not all America is bad...

...just the south. :ztoohot:

·
Registered
286 Posts
oh, and america is not the greatest country on earth.
you are wrong. it is and always will be. the only reason someone would say anything like that is if they are jealous of others, or like joel said, they havent seen all of the U.S. To say that the typical American is stupid is a complete closed mined moron or just some ignorant kid that likes to jump on the anti-American bandwagon with all the hippies. if it werent for our freedom loving country, we'd kick out useless minds like yours out of our county.
:ssalute: :ssalute: :ssalute: :ssalute:

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
zero89lx said:

And glowing escape, not all America is bad...

...just the south. :ztoohot:
I'll have you know I resemble that remark! And proud of it too! :cool:

·
Registered
488 Posts
Ive lived in chicago, coral springs(south florida), and dallas, grandparents lived in peoria AZ too, and its all great as far as ive seen.

Josh

·
Registered
209 Posts
Wow, I had no idea that France owns Jerry Springer.
GUN

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
that has got to be some of the stupidest economic reasoning I have ever seen.
Many of those companies may be owned by french, but they employ US citizens.
The rest are carried by retailers, more US citizens. You're hurting americans.
There is no such thing as a fench, american, british, etc company. We live in a world market, hurt one country, hurt them all.
Put the blame where its due, Chirac, not his people.

It'slike to idiots that show their distaste for the french by dumping champagne down a gutter. YOU FRICKING BOUGHT THE CHAMPAGNE, THEY GOT YOUR MONEY NO MATTER WHAT YOU DID TO IT!
The reasoning of the jingoistic masses amazes me. :rolleyes:

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
all i can say is:

how many french defended the city of paris and the eiffel tower in WW2??

answer: ask the american's who were fighting for them....

damn french... too bad about the tires though...

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
jamesD said:

answer: ask the american's who were fighting for them....

And Canadians and British.

JJanney has it right. It's a world economy. You hurt your own with boycotts like that. The shareholders in these companies are of all nationalities. They employ Americans in the USA. Their headquarters are located in France. Protectionism is a negative influence on all economies.

And what does Jerry Springer have to do with this? Is he French?? Was he protesting the war? Does he like poutine?

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
dugweed said:
> } Wild Turkey (bourbon)

Mike
Since it is a bourbon, it must be made in bourbon county. By boycotting the brand because it is owned by a french based company, your just going to hurt americans working for them in bourbon county. The company will notice, but I bet they won't care.

Boycott things imported from France, and you won't hurt your fellow americans as much, just a select few (dockworkers).

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
GreenBird said:

Boycott things imported from France, and you won't hurt your fellow americans as much, just a select few (dockworkers).
maybe not the dockworkers.. they are mostly Union aren't they??

1 - 20 of 35 Posts