TCCoA Forums banner

Sea Foam

1K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Boston-Bull 
#1 ·
I don't mean to look ignorant but I've never used it before and want to make sure I do it right the first time.

From what I've read/understand, you start with a hot engine idling. Disconnect one of the vacuum hoses to the manifold (I've read a brake assist line works well) and rev the engine to ~2000 RPM. Slurp up about half the can into the engine, although not all at once so the engine doesn't die. As soon as you've finished slurping, shut off the engine and wait. I've read waiting an hour is best (opposed to the 5-10 minutes stated on the can). After the hour's up, start up the engine (with vacuum hose reattached) and rev it hard, 4000-5000 RPM, until it smokes.

That's where I get lost. After it starts smoking, do you just let it idle for a while?

As for the other half of the can, I'm most likely put that into the gas tank after I fill it up (halfway) with 93. I'll be sure to replace the fuel filter after that tank finishes.

Do I have things generally right or is there something I'm missing?

#4 ·
Thanks for the tips. One other thing - I intend to replace the spark plugs today as well. Should I do that before or after the Sea Foam treatment?

#8 ·
Looks like I did something right... Added half a can like I said, shut off the engine when I finished adding the stuff. I got a lot of smoke just before I shut off the engine. I let it sit for 40-45 minutes, then started it up and let the engine run at 4500 RPM for a few. Man, did it ever stink!

I guess I'll find out how well it worked after I get the gasoline treated when I fill it up later. So far things seem hopeful!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.