TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i have read around and have heard many diferent things to do. some say pour some in brake booster line, others PCV, some just dumpt it all in the gas tank.

can someone tell me step my step how to do this? im not too fond of pouring a liquid into a vaccume line lol but if thats what it says to do then i will.

any advice would be great. this is going in my 93 3.8 also.

thanks
Dean

·
Johnny Bling Bling
3,811 Posts
i wouldnt recommend dumping it ALL into the gas tank!! supposed to be 1/3 into gas, 1/3 into brake booster line, and 1/3 into crancase....with an oil change to follow shortly. i was considering doing it to the expy as well...she has 92k on the block and fuel system....much less on the s/c(feb 07)

·
Super Moderator
12,544 Posts
Actually, it's All in the Gas tank (One 16 oz can), Half a can in the Crankcase with the oil (8 oz), and 1/3 to 1/2 pint (5 to 8 ounces) into a vacuum line.

So, you'll need two cans to cover everything. Personally, I put it in the gas and the crankcase and skip pouring it into the vacuum line. It really works well with the oil to clean the engine out. Like shampoo, rinse and repeat :D

I ran mine with seafoam in the oil I already had in the car for about 1,000 miles and then changed the oil and added the other half of the can to the fresh oil.

See HERE for the official guide. Remember where it says 1/3 to 1/2 pint or whatever that there are 16 ounces in a pint.

·
Registered
131 Posts
You can do it any of the three ways. IF you do use the vacuum line from the booster you MUST take care to pour it very slowly. Too much and it'll hydralock the motor extremely easy...it does not take much to do so.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well thats the last thing i want to do is hydrolock the engine. and with putting it in with the oil which will then need an oil change, what if i wasnt planning on changing the oil till after winter...

would ony doing it in the gas tank be good enough?

·
Super Moderator
12,544 Posts
Shure, You can throw a can in the gas tank. Any amout of treatment will be better than nothing.

You don't have to change the oil right away. The 1,000 miles that I mentioned letting mine run in an earlier post was just my personal preference considering that the oil in the engine at that time already had about 2K on it.

You can put half a can in the oil now then let it ride until you're ready to change the oil 2-3,000 miles - after winter - whatever. Then when you do change the oil put another 1/2 can in with the fresh oil.

·
Registered
131 Posts
well thats the last thing i want to do is hydrolock the engine. and with putting it in with the oil which will then need an oil change, what if i wasnt planning on changing the oil till after winter...

would ony doing it in the gas tank be good enough?
It is still easy to do through the vacuum without hydrolocking the motor. I inserted the top of a gear lube bottle in the end of the vacuum hose for a funnel. Just slowly start pouring in the Sea-Foam. If you hear the motor start to bog, stop until it idles out and and slow the pour down until you can get a constant amount without affecting idle speed.

This stuff is like gold on the Bronco forum I'm on. Maybe this may help: http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43682&highlight=seafoam

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
O crap. I read somewhere to stall it when you’re done pouring to coat all the pistons. I did this twice, wonder how bad that was to do lol. Seems to run fine with no noises. Since it is somewhat combustible and probably compresses better then water I'm sure it’s OK. Probably won’t do that again though.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
I thought the full instructions on the can say something about only leaving it in the crankcase for 500 miles before changing the oil? That's what i did, and i went easy on the throttle for the 500 or so it was in there. I didn't do any WOT or heavily load the engine just to play it safe...

I wouldn't think of just dumping it in there and forgetting about it until my next post winter oil change.

·
Banned
198 Posts
A Cheap Way Is Using Trans Fluid

ADD I QT TO MOTOR ONE IN FULL TANK OF GAS :rolleyes:DON,T RUN THE CAR HARD :eek:DRAIN OIL AFTER USING TANK OF GAS UP :)...FREES LIFTERS AND RINGS CLEANS GUNK:D STILL AND OIL BASE SOME WHAT:cool: ...A TRICK MOTORS HEADS USED BACK IN THE DAY:tongue:

·
Super Moderator
12,544 Posts
I thought the full instructions on the can say something about only leaving it in the crankcase for 500 miles before changing the oil? That's what i did, and i went easy on the throttle for the 500 or so it was in there. I didn't do any WOT or heavily load the engine just to play it safe...

I wouldn't think of just dumping it in there and forgetting about it until my next post winter oil change.
After pulling my empty can from the trash, reading it, and reviewing the official guide that I cited earlier. I can safely say that there is no recommended min-max mileage listed on the can for any application [Crankcase (Oil), Adding to Gas, or when used through injection] other than
"For peak performance, use SEA FOAM every 2,000 to 5,000 miles."

To this I will add that I changed the oil in my car (which contained Sea Foam for the duration) Thursday night, added 8 oz of fresh Sea Foam to five quarts of fresh oil and ran my car at Rockingham today with some pretty good times (considering I still need a tune) and then drove the car 90 miles home without a single problem.

Bottom line is, I think it will be ok to leave it in the oil from one oil change to the next and drive your car as you normally would WOT and all...

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
huh, that's odd. If you Google Seafoam 500 miles you'll find a bunch of guides on how to use the stuff. I wonder where that number came from? When it's used in the oil the usual recommendations are to add it about 500 miles before your next oil change. Yet others say to simply idle the engine for about 10 minutes and then change the oil. Those seem to be the most common Seafoam lore on the internet...

I wouldn't even call whats printed on the can instructions. It's more like recommended dosages. There is no usage info for crankcase applications beyond dosage. As for the official guide on the website, yea i've read it. Lets look at what they say about using it in the crankcase.

Gasoline Engine Applications - One pint treats 10 quarts of oil. That's 1 oz. Seafoam per 20 ounces of oil. No other directions given.

Diesel Engine Applications - Use 1 pint of SEA FOAM to every 4 gallons of oil to clean rings and other engine parts internally. For best results, use SEA FOAM for 1 hour before oil change. that's 1 oz. of Seafoam per 32 ounces of oil, to be added 1 hour before oil change.

The can simply says to use 1.5 oz. per 32 ounces of oil and that's it, which is close to what they say for gasoline engines on the website.

If all that isn't confusing enough check this quote out from this thread.

As for changing the oil. I drive the vehicle about 500 miles PRIOR to changing the oil. HOWEVER, I called Seafoam this afternoon to discuss how long is too long to drive (was going to add that in the write up as well). They said that you should drive no more than 100 miles with seafoam prior to changing the oil.
Hmmm, perhap a call to Seafoam is in order come Monday morning... I'd like to know what they say about it myself now. lol

all i know is if your using it at every oil change and even hitting the race track with it in there, your alot braver soul then I. I'd be afraid it's to much of a good thing that's going to come back to bite me. :eek:

·
Super Moderator
12,544 Posts
... Hmmm, perhaps a call to Seafoam is in order come Monday morning... I'd like to know what they say about it myself now. lol

all i know is if your using it at every oil change and even hitting the race track with it in there, your a lot braver soul then I. I'd be afraid it's to much of a good thing that's going to come back to bite me. :eek:
I was curious where you heard 500 miles. Thanks for the clarification.

It just keeps the motor clean. I don't think continued use at the recommended dosage in the oil will harm anything. Not to mention, I usually end up having to add a quart to the oil between changes anyway which further dilutes the Sea Foam. After all, my car does have almost 200K on it.

I'd be interested to hear what you find out. Next time I change the oil I'll just throw a can of Foam in the gas and leave the oil alone. I don't think it's to much of a good thing, there just comes a point of diminishing return. You can only get the motor so clean before you're just wasting your time. :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts