TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Even though my 3.8 (naturally aspirated) only has about 40.000 miles on it, it is 25 years old. So I figured it can't hurt to try some cleaners.

After watching several "Chrisfix" videos, I decided to use Seafoam Spray. For those unfamiliar with it, it's the one that uses a tiny hose which is routed directly towards the throttle plate.

I followed the instructions to the letter, and here's what surprised me: all of the videos on this subject show dense, white smoke from the exhaust. In my case, the smoke was white, but it was very light during the injection of the product, definitely not thick clouds of smoke. During the subsequent drive, there was hardly any smoke.

:unsure: ...again, I followed the instructions exactly. So why hardly any smoke?

As to the results, I actually do feel an immediate improvement in smoothness. My car always (i.e., in two months of ownership) had a somewhat rumbly idle; that seems totally smoothed out now. Unless I'm imagining things.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I love Seafoam. I have used it on every used car I have owned.
I have used it in the spray form and the liquid form to clean parts and as an engine treatment. It can be added to the fuel or oil, but I have never put it in the oil.

The key I found after a couple unsatisfactory treatments (little smoke) was heat sinking the intake manifold.
Use it as directed, but make sure the engine if heat soaked...like up to full operating temp for 30 minutes.
Then, have somebody run the throttle to keep it running, and put the entire can into the throttle body. This will take several minutes. When the can is empty, immediately shut it down and let it cool completely...like for an hour at least.

Remember, it took 20+ years to get that dirty, it will not come out immediately or all at once.
However, if you do as stated above you will have a smoke show like no other, I promise.
I did everything except, after application and shutting off, I only let it sit for 10 minutes. Then I drove it again. That was per the instructions on the can.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
On the subject of Seafoam, I added it to the fuel and I did the intake spray.

The one thing I haven't done is adding it to the oil. My plan was to add some approx. 200 miles before my next oil change.

But looking in through the filler opening, I wonder if there's even a point. It looks pretty clean in there, doesn't it?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Frankly, your best bet is to pull the intake and exhaust manifolds...
My only real motivation to do that is that I'd like to clean the injectors. Otherwise, ugh, this looks like a cumbersome job (?), at least from what I've seen on YouTube. I presume that I'd have to replace whatever gaskets there are, too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts