TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did everything right. Poured the stuff down the Vac line at the Master Cylinder with the car running. Then turned the car off and waited 7-8 min. I fired it back up and drove it hard for about 15 min or so. I did not see any smoke at all out the exhaust. The exhaust smelled a little different is all. Did I do something wrong? Or is my engine super clean already for some reason lol. Maybe I didn't use enough... i dunno. Thought I dumped about 1/3 can in there.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, i got to looking at how much I used. I dont even think I used 1/4 of the can :p. So I went back and put in more and Im gonna let it sit a little longer this time... 15-20 min. Then give it a run. Let ya know what it does.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
haha i cant wait to crop dust the neighborhood. wish i could record it! might have to find a camcorder around here :D

·
Registered
431 Posts
If you go on streetfire.net there are a bunch of videos of people doing the same thing, some are extraordinarily dramatic too.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Did the same thing just yesterday, even had the same "problem".. No smoke. I just kinda figured I'd work it out later, and went inside to eat, shower, get ready for work, etc. When I started the car to go to work, smoke just POURED out of the car!! So maybe (like me) you didn't wait long enough?

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Even if there isn't a bunch of carbon built up, you should get the "smoke show" only it is steam and a little smoke from the solvents.

I get a ton of chunks on the ground under the tail pipe when I do any vehicle I don't drive for a while. I was embarrassed a few times I did it, even though everyone in the neighborhood knows I keep my cars in good shape, fumigating the neighbors house was kinda fun!

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
does this net any performance gain at all? or just the knowledge that everything is clean?

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok so I put more in. Waitied like 30 minutes... drove it around and only got a little puff of smoke on the first WOT and that was it. Wasn't my oil burning either lol. It was the seafoam... but just a little smoke... nothing like the videos ive seen. Maybe when I drive it to class here in like 3 hours it will do something more? Or did I already vaporize what was in there when I drove it just now?

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
does this net any performance gain at all? or just the knowledge that everything is clean?
depends how neglected your car is.....carbon deposits within the cylinders can affect performance, therefore removing them can regain what is lost due to their presence...just how much you gain back depends on how much you lost due to neglect

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
so my engine is less than 40k, should i bother?

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
It made my 89 Cougar go from "can't do over 55" to the "screamer" it was before with all 140 hp at tap at will and could do the speed limit.

It made my fathers 84 Ranger stop pinging as BAD (it still does, but not every moment and driving situation).

It gained me a little better drivability and idle quality in my 97 when I first got it.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
drove it to class a while later... like 3 hours. Got no smoke. Seems to have wayyy more power/response at higher RPM. Car has 118k miles never been seafoamed could be the reason for that. But still couldnt figure out why there was no smoke. Oh well.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
To get a huge smoke show you should stall your engine out with the sea foam at the end of pouring it. You should be able to tell how much to pour to just BARRELY get it to stall, don’t just dump a whole bunch in at once (lol). That should get some unburned sea foam on all of the pistons when it stalls out. Then let it sit for the 15-30 minutes and start it up. Should be smoky!:D When I did mine like this there was A LOT of smoke, like streetfire worthy smoke hehehe.

Do this at your own risk though, some people think it might hydro-lock the engine by stalling it with the foam. I really don’t think that’s the case, it really doesn’t take much foam at all to stall an engine at idle and the foam is burnable. I wouldn’t hesitate to do it to any of my vehicles, I have before.

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
my birdie smoked a bit the first time

next time i did it a few months later, hardly anything. just little puffs out the tailpipe

the parents minivan? i used a whole can over the course of the day and it STILL smoked like a damn chimney.. and it is supposed to have a rebuilt motor

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
how much does seafoam cost? are there different kinds?

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
theres a seafoam for the gas tank, top end, and crank case..... and then theres the seafoam "snake oil cure" for the trans.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
what should i get if i were to go to advance?

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
should be a small white can with black and red writting on it that says Seafoam if it says anything about transmissions your holding the wrong one

·
Registered
321 Posts
okay im lost here i get some seafoaming engine cleaner and pour it into the brake vacuum line while the car is idling only like 3/4 can okay then turn car off and wait a half hour then start car up and then what do i rev it up to blow it out or what and should you change the oil afterwords i have an 105mi. my engine should prolly be a bit dirty although every time im out and about in my car im usually doing 70 and up so it gets blown out all the time ??????

1 - 20 of 23 Posts