TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Slacks 12 months a year, TCCoAAC Member
2,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that every state requires a seat belt but not every state requires a helmet, what can be done to change it so it is optional you wear your seat belt?

I dont want any negative comments or anyone talking smack, just straight up answers.
Thanks,
Chris

·
8,239 Posts
well if your car was equipped with a seatbelt, then the law says that you must wear it. If they took this law off the books, then the insurance companies would have a fit, they would be paying death benefits alot more often. Thats for sure.

·
Slacks 12 months a year, TCCoAAC Member
2,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
NUHBOY4.6----well thats not an option at the time, plus politics bore the hell out of me.
JustinH----They took the law out for helmets so why couldnt it be done for seatbelts?

I dont want to start any crap on here but I feel that sometimes a seat belt can do more harm then good.I just think it should be an option to the driver, unless passengers are in the car.Then you should be required to wear it so you dont become a projectile to the passengers.

Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
When school buses have seatbelts, I'll agree with the law. It's funny how I have to wear one at age 2 or get fined, but a bunch of 8 year olds can bounce around in a bus and it's no big deal.

Air bags are my real enemy. Gotta love the fact that you're not supposed to shut them off but if I happen to be driving when it goes off, I'm as good as dead... comforting thought.

I'm hoping to get a newer daily driver in the next few months and you can bet that the air bag is as good as gone.

·
Baddest N/A NPI in Canada
2,118 Posts
LX-Tasy said:
I know that every state requires a seat belt but not every state requires a helmet, what can be done to change it so it is optional you wear your seat belt?

I dont want any negative comments or anyone talking smack, just straight up answers.
Thanks,
Chris
Get a car made from the 50's - 60's that came without them and drive it. That is the only way you would get away with it here.

·
$.25 poster
1,900 Posts
Crystal, school busses do have seatbelts now :)

·
Registered
219 Posts
Why do you think seat belts are bad? In my state it is a more expensive ticket than a speeding ticket so obviously I wear mine all the time... but I don't see a problem with it.

Don't you believe the statistics that show that most people killed in accidents aren't wearing seat belts?

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
AlpineBird said:
Crystal, school busses do have seatbelts now :)

I dont know what school buses you go on!
lol I'm still in school! They DEF. DON'T have seatbelts....in Michigan at least.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Ive never seen a school bus with seatbelts.

I think it should be up to the person if they choose to wear them or not. Here if a passenger isnt wearing one I believe the driver will get the ticket, which is BS just cause theyre in my car doesnt make me a baby sitter, does it? I never put it on if Im outside the city and not on major roads.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
I noticed that most of the people who are against seat belts are under 30. I really hope you make it there and to 40. I've had a few serious accidents in my time, including rollovers, and impact with immovable objects. I am alive today because of seat belts. There is NO excuse you can give me, NO example of when it would be better not to have them on. I've heard many different excuses and talked to many different professionals. I have yet to meet a professional driver who didn't wear a seat belt. And they don't do it because its a state law, they do it because it is a law of common sense. I don't mean to offend or slam anyone but it really is just that; common sense. As for the seat belts in Buses, there have been studies to decide whether it is best to have them or not have them. I'll have to do some research to see what they have come up with on that subject. Most agree that belts in busses would be an excercise in futility. Try getting everyone who gets on and off a bus to put on a seatbelt!

·
$.25 poster
1,900 Posts
i dunno what school busses you guys are riding, i dont ride the bus anymore, but when i did last year they definetly had seat belts. I remember the driver actually trying to make us wear them once.

But maybe thats becuase safety bus bought alot of new International yellow busses in 2001, so maybe you guys dont have newer ones.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
The main reasons that they are not on buses is 1) if there is an emergency and people are injured it would be very difficult to get them out of the belts and off the bus quickly, especially with small children who are panicked. 2) Unless the bus goes off a bridge or hits a train, nobody is gonna be hurt in a collision . The size and mass alone are enough to protect the passengers in a collision with most vehicles on the road.

I have personally heard of one example when not wearing a belt saved a persons life. One the vehicle rolled and hit a tree which crushed the drivers side, the driver was ejected and lived.

But yes in the vast majority of cases the belts have protected people, but it should stil be up to the individual whether they choose to wear it or not.

·
Who is John Galt?
6,476 Posts
Blue LS said:
but it should stil be up to the individual whether they choose to wear it or not.
:zwthstpd:
My friend rolled her eclipse, she ended up in the passenger seat because she wasn't wearing a seat belt. If she had been wearing her belt, she'd be dead. it's a tough call either way.

Personally, I always wear mine, just out of a force of habit (and the thought of a ticket). Everyone that gets in my car wears theirs.

As for school busses, the only ones i've seen with seat belts are some of the short busses around here.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I've got a 57 F-100 w/o belts :D But anyways, I've had one seatbelt ticket before...not cool, but now I wear it ALL the time. Onto a serious note...it's a little more than the ticket. One of my friends from high shcool was killed in a car accident when we were freshman in college. She and two other friends were traveling to my city, when a drunk diver t-boned them. The driver (friend, not drunk guy) was killed and the other two passengers were injured. One was in a coma for 3 weeks and the other broke the big bone (above the knee...don't remember the name) in her left leg. All three were wearing belts. The two that made it out ok (and I use that term loosely, btw) were wearing their belts. This was all the night before my birthday...great way to spend it huh?
-Just a thought

Joe

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Eric46v8 said:
Why do you think seat belts are bad? In my state it is a more expensive ticket than a speeding ticket so obviously I wear mine all the time... but I don't see a problem with it.

Don't you believe the statistics that show that most people killed in s aren't wearing seat belts?
:zwthstpd: Just wear your seat belt... it will save your life. ;)

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
School busses don't have seat belts because they use padded containtment areas. seat belts on a school bus would increase injuries.

I always wear my seat belt, but I don't think it should be a law for anyone over 18.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I wasn't a big fan of seatbelts but If it wasn't for one I wouldn't be here after this happened Oops!
And the airbags never touched me!

Being a volunteer firefighter has showed me plenty of reasons for seatbelts/airbags!

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
94t-birdlx said:
I wasn't a big fan of seatbelts but If it wasn't for one I wouldn't be here after this happened Oops!
And the airbags never touched me!

Being a volunteer firefighter has showed me plenty of reasons for seatbelts/airbags!
I have one of those to! Except mine was a Z28 and a tree sideswiped me! (oh all right it didn't move and I hit it!)

Seat belt saved me by keeping me from slopping all over the car. Yes I did get glass and bark in my face but no broken bones, no serious injury whatsoever.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts