TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can someone tell me what i'm doing wrong? lol. my first 3.8 got a rod knock at 54000 km, the second motor at 78000... the only mod i have is a k&n cone that's located down where the air resonator used to be, and i'm thinking of moving it to where it's supposed to be and building a cold air box for it. any ideas? if the third engine is going to knock, i'm gonna sell her.

·
Premium Member
2,976 Posts
sounds like just a run of bad luck... placment of the air filter should never cause a rod knock (if that is what your are actually hearing).

I suggest if you put another engine in it, rebuild it, don't just drop another one in. The biggest problem is that you don't know the history. Changing the oil prior to putting in an older engine doesn't tell you much.

·
Registered
293 Posts
why not just rebuild the one you have. Or maybe the one you took out. New bearings, rings, seals, turn the crank and new cam....check for other worn parts. 500 bucks and your down the road with no worries

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah, i'd do that, maybe swap to an sc, but this motor was remanufactured, and was under warranty, so i get the new one for free. i hope it's just bad luck, and the third motor will be good. or else i may sell her. :(

1 - 5 of 5 Posts