TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sneek peek of things to come... The FUTURE is now!

Last weekend I took the trip to Ohio to visit the Dog, Darrin and Jake. This time it was not to have work done on my car but to meet a fellow member and watch history in the making...

Whelp, I am not sure I can give all the details but this car has a serious transmission installed and what could be the most efficient Torque Converter ever built by man. A serious custom built lock up device that breathed its first breath in a MN12.

Here are some pictures from my visit...

Above is the Dog driving the car into the garage.... Oh look! There is a sweet Cougar in the back ground. Nice car!!

Alan gets right to work...

This is what a Supercharged 5.4L looks like.

Of course Alan has to install a new Tranny Cooler!

The POS above was duly replaced with a race ready Darrin built transmission.

Here is a shot of the transmission. Sorry it took me 10 hours to get there so I missed the install part...

Of Course Darrin does not miss a trick...

·
Registered
219 Posts
Looks like a T I G H T fit for that 5.4L.... but WOW does that look menacing! *creams self*

·
Registered
219 Posts
Well where else could it go Kent? lol. Id love to see a front shot at eye level with the grille so we can see that blower peekin up.

Looks like an easy 400hp sittin in an MN12.... God does life get any sweeter? :-D

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Emerald94LX said:
Well where else could it go Kent? lol. Id love to see a front shot at eye level with the grille so we can see that blower peekin up.

Looks like an easy 400hp sittin in an MN12.... God does life get any sweeter? :-D

Relocating the coolant tank and fabbing some new brackets would be a little easier I think - but then again I haven't seen it up close so I can't really tell how much room is there.

·
Baddest N/A NPI in Canada
2,118 Posts
Emerald94LX said:

God I hate to bust your bubble, but that car is not making 400 HP. I am not sure it could.

·
Banned
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
TGJ said:
God I hate to bust your bubble, but that car is not making 400 HP. I am not sure it could.
400 HP! Maybe if he had some of those ported NPI heads that take a year to get... But this is one of those poor man special SC's. He does not have the money nor time to waste on fancy girly expensive shinny stuff... But with his stock natural gas heads (some valves possibly smaller than stock), mild cams along with the latest set of mods conservative estimates are somewhere around 370 HP. Humm... Only a dyno will tell...

The fit is a little tight but it fits none the less...

Poor guy he gets no respect. Even the Dog washes his hands in his bucket.
:eek:

·
8,239 Posts
the last one is pretty funny.

What stall speed on the converter?

What core did the trans start with?

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
JustinH said:
the last one is pretty funny.

What stall speed on the converter?

What core did the trans start with?

The converter is stalling about 3400 in Jakes car. It's an 8 inch unit similar to what KD has with a lower stall stator and negative pitched pump fins. The really cool part is the 7 plate lockup system with no damper....when it locks you know it.
Alan

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
The transmission has all of the hardened goodies and such. No worries there.
Gawd that car is fun. It may not be the quickest out there, but its a blast in its own way. Definitely different and curiously strong. The way the power comes in is like nothing I have been in before.
I like it.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Stall is about 3000 PLUS, which was as stiff as the dog could make it, the 5.4 really doesnt need stall.... the tranny is a 03 plus CV piece, built more for street than race applications

The above pic is about as low angle as i have, but you get the Idea.... :D

As for 400 hp, calculated shaft is within reach , maybe exceeded allready as last dyno the driveline was slipping,up to 4850rpm, but got 300 RWHP / Tq at 5250 which i believe to be more significant... I also think that the improved driveline will produce more, and theres a couple other tweaks like going back down to 2.5 " pipes for part of the exhaust will recoup part of the 20 RWHP I lost when I went to 3" true duals( I know that sounds crazy, but its due the cams and pulse flow of both induction and exhaust) I am not too sure how much farther i want to take it as the street tune is what i usually use, the performance tune a but edgy, and who cares when the street tune is that much fun?A comparison of times will be avail hopefully after the Fla Minimeat , Nov 18th

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Dr. FrankenCougie said:
I like the hood prop, mine started out as a broom handle since I can't afford the fancy girly expensive shinny stuff either.
painted red so's i can identify mine in somebody elses shop... the deluxe prop is a 2x2'' Oak walking stick, with a 4" locking sawtoothed knife blade in the other end... nobody's walking off with that either ;)

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Oh well, heres a pic of the old 11" d0g converter, and the new lil' sucker , called an 8" in the trade, but actually 8.75 "

The little one is the "7 plate hydraulic power clutch" neat, huh? Even has the drain bung for Fords.......... ;)

Annuder view .... face it i take crappy pics sometimes...
This is about all Alan is prepared to show at this time. Ive been shown the set up he has , but its still developmental, and i couldnt even begin to describe it.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Very sweet, Jake... are ya gonna stop at Ramsey's for a new tune??

Good luck at the track...

-mike

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
96 GoldBird said:
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Very sweet, Jake... are ya gonna stop at Ramsey's for a new tune??

Good luck at the track...

-mike
Ramseys is off inna future , after I adjust the exhaust for the umpteenth time, and hopefully get it right.(maybe at that point I can call it a tuned exhaust?.... gotta think different with a 5.4L ;) ).. At least Alan got the 3" pipes up high enuff that they werent dragging anymore(something he did free of charge, and above and beyond the call), which buys time, and an opportunity to save my pennies for the next exhaust mod. I know that will give me back the 20+ RW I lost, even tho' I anticipate diminishing a wonderful sound. Measureing improvement on the track will provide some info on the drive train changes tho'......

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
I expect you'll be giving yourself a case of "whiplash"... what with all that torque, a locking converter, and Darrin's "Super-Trans." It should prove to be an interesting and fun meet... enjoy..

-mike

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
96 GoldBird said:
I expect you'll be giving yourself a case of "whiplash"... what with all that torque, a locking converter, and Alan's "Super-Bulletproof" trans. It should prove to be an interesting and fun meet... enjoy..

-mike
I built the converter not the trans. Darrin built the trans and I don't think "bulletproof" is a word he will ever use to describe a 4r70w

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
dirtyd0g said:
I built the converter not the trans. Darrin built the trans and I don't think "bulletproof" is a word he will ever use to describe a 4r70w
Ooops.. I edited my post... yeah, I guess the "bulletproof" name needs to laid to rest... How about "J-Spec"??

-mike

1 - 20 of 22 Posts