TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Clueless Poster
2,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so my neighbor comes over to my house asks to fallow her to wheel ware house because...this seems very odd to me. the rims/wheels where vibrating so i'm thinking balancing and done. nope they put a spacer behind it. i think to myself wouldnt you just tighten the lugs better?...appearently not. so they get the spacers put on well i guess they broke?? so now they are going to take these chip foose rims drill into the back of them so the spacer seats into this aluminum rim and then weld it?? would the welds even hold up and stick to aluminum?now my question is why on earth would this need to be done? i know im not the sharpest pencil in the box but you don't put spacers because the rims shake you tighten the lugs or rebalance the tires, or even get longer lugs if they're not tightening down all the way. you put spacers on them to gap them more, and to add clearence?

·
Motorboatin' SOB, Headlight Cleaning Guru
6,910 Posts
why were spacers needed in the first place? how bad are the wheels vibrating? is it noticeable from watching them turn?

i would never weld spacers on a set of wheels like those.

·
Clueless Poster
2,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
will im not sure 100% on any of those questions. i mean i assume they are the right saize as it cleared everything it wasnt rubbing it just had a vibration. it's not my car and i didnt have a chance to drive it as its a mercedes and 18 i dont think ill get the chance anytime soon. but it doesnt make any sence to me what so ever to modify a set of 2-4k dollar rims because of vibrations that typically a balancing issues. just seems like they are mucking up the car and rims imho.

im goinmg to have to say thought at first they didnt have any issues now all the sudeen they do it sounds like maybe they losta tire weight. when they bought them it didnt have spacers. the frt time they put it on the car the spacers broke and thats why its back there putting bigger ones and slotting the rim for the bigger spacers

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Why the spacers?

I understand some spacers with big oval slots will set off center and vibrate, I have cured that the one time I needed 1.4" spacers for clearance between rim edge and a tie rod ends on a Malibu. I mounted the spacers with lug nuts centering them, then drilled through the spacer into the hub and countersunk two 3/16" screws just to locate the spacers, worked perfect.

·
Clueless Poster
2,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah. but these where put on because of vibrations. but as far as why they put them on there is probably because there out right dumb.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Are you sure they were spacers? Or were they hub-centric rings? Some wheels are lug-centric, some are hub-centric. Our cars are hub-centric, which means the wheel is kept centered by the rim of the hub fitting the hole in the very center of the wheel tightly. I don't know how Mercedes cars are set up. If they are hub-centric and the shop didn't install the correct hub-centric rings, then it would be asking for vibration and failure.

·
PostWhore, The AFDB is on a lil tight.
3,868 Posts
Thats the most messed up rim install I have ever heard of, I'm confused why anything would get welded to a wheel.

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
Thats the most messed up rim install I have ever heard of, I'm confused why anything would get welded to a wheel.
its so cal, what do you expect? this is coming from a kid who doesnt know the difference between fallow and follow.

·
PostWhore, The AFDB is on a lil tight.
3,868 Posts
its so cal, what do you expect? this is coming from a kid who doesnt know the difference between fallow and follow.
Must be all those fine colleges out there that contributes to the fine quality of common sense among techs LOL. I bet the owner of the car is a college grad and can't even change the oil LOL j/k!!!

·
Clueless Poster
2,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Must be all those fine colleges out there that contributes to the fine quality of common sense among techs LOL. I bet the owner of the car is a college grad and can't even change the oil LOL j/k!!!
you're partially right
he's a 40 year old meat head. all he ever does is work out and take steroids. he doesn't know didly about cars and i change his oil.

the car is a mercedes bens. it didnt need spacers when they first installed them. they've had them for probably 4 years now i think and now all the sudden they got the vibrations.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts