TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my problem looks like an MLPS failure, smells like it but doesn’t seem to be it.

The symptoms:
1. Randomly drops into neutral while cruising along, otherwise shifts perfect
2. Today, when trying to start, NOTHING would happen, as if it was in drive, first time this happened

Yesterday I put in a new MLPS because of the neutraling problem. I also flushed the trans and put in a new filter just because it had been over a year already. I took it for a drive and it seemed ok until the end when it went into neutral. So that told me the new MLPS didn't take care of the problem.

Today I took it out for a drive and stopped to pick up a few things. After getting back in the car it wouldn't start, wouldn't even crank. Plenty of battery voltage, the car was in park.

I was about to leave it there while I got a flatbed or figured out what was wrong, when I decided to try it again. This time it started.

Everything is pointing to the MLPS but it doesn’t seem to be the problem.

Think it may be a bad harness? Looking for any ideas here, it's driving me nuts.

One more thing, this neutraling problem started shortly after my TPS went bad and my car idled like crap and wouldn't shift out of second. Put in a new TPS and the car was good for a few weeks, but this neutraling problem has gotten more and more frequent. Shortly after the TPS was replaced I grabbed the MLPS from my parts car and put that on, it didn't seem to change anything. Now I put on the brand new one, same issues. I'm afraid the car will become undrivable.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well just a follow up, turns out the MLPS was about 1-2mm out of alignment and I just couldn't tell without a mirror. So it solved the problem. A total of abotu 2 hours driving and not one down shift!! Life is good!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts