• Try to Salvage 96

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately I've been looking at my car (96 Sport) and been noticing that the Rochester winters have done quite a number on my car. This summer I'll be working full time and I wanted to put some of it into my car.

But, the rocker panels, particualrly on the driver's side are starting the rust very badly. The drivers side I temporarly patched with fiberglass, but I haven't touched the passenger side. Also, the driver's door is starting to rust along the bottom lip, and on the doorframe where the striker pin is, and to top it all off, the paint is cracking very badly under the driver's side rear window.

So I'm obviously thinking that dumping money into the car to get these things fixed could be better spent on either a new car that doesn't have al the rust damage. So I've been looking around and I'm considering three options:

1. Used Lincoln LS. Nice, classy car, RWD and an aluminium block V8. Nice, but a little pricey at 12- 13000 for an early model, but it's within my budget.

2. Another MN-12. See if I can find a nice example of a late model SC or another 96-97 sport. Not as much as the LS, but it's an older car and I don't want to be worrying about rust after a year like my 96. I was considering an FN10 but I'd be wary of all the old gadgets that would start to go bad after 10+ years of driving

3. Repair the body rust on my car myself and get the car repainted. My uncle has a welder and the knowledge to do this, I however have no metalworking experience

So, what should I do? buy the Lincoln, Buy another MN-12 or try to fix what I've got?

·
Registered
457 Posts
its gonna come down to money: how much to fix the 96, how much to get a similarly equipped nicer other MN-12, and how much to get the LS, and are you going to like it as much. rust is a killer, and i know how bad it can get.

i am voting for another MN-12. you can get a solid car for not that much, and mod it to your hearts content for the same price as the LS..and later on you can get an LS for less money.

jmo

Jamie

·
Registered
554 Posts
If I had that cash available, i would totally buy the LS. Honestly, I would rather have a car I am not constantly tampering with to keep going. Its always something small with older cars, but little fixes add up. I would rather have a nice lower mileage car like the ls to play with.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts