TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be changing the engine and trans in my 91 sport and can't decide if I should keep or sell the original engine and trans. Since the numbers wouldn't match in the future (say 20yrs) the value of the car would be less. Or do you think this car would really be worth anything more than a 91 LX with a 5.0L since it's a sport? Would a 91 thunderbird be worth anything to begin with?

I'm thinking of the old camaros, mustangs, chevelles, etc that are being sold today. If the numbers of the drivetrain don't match the chassis then the value drops.

So would it be wise to keep the original engine and trans?

Is that clear as mud?

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
If is the key word here - IF it becomes a collectable it will have more value IF it has matching numbers and IF it can be restored to concours quality. If it won't/can't be concours quality then the matching numbers probably won't mean much. If you think you're going to keep it in that kind of shape for 20+ years and would be able to sell it as a premium vehicle then hold on to the original and make sure all mods are *completely* reversable.

jmo

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Just hold on to the motor and trans if you think it will be worth something down the road. You might want to reconsider doing any mods if future profit is your goal.

Try to keep is as original as possible.

·
Registered
698 Posts
basically, you gotta balance it out. just think of a street car that is totally stock, and then on the other hand a drag car that doesn't have a stock part on it. which is worth more. now, some people are stupid enough to pay whatever. but, you can't satisfy other people, satisfy yourself. I know that when i get soemthing nicer than what i have now, i'm going to mod the **** outta it. granted the value may decrease....but to who? a stupid dealer? hell, i could probably pull the money outta the car by selling it to some punk rich kid. so, in other words, what i am saying is to satisfy yourself.

Wiz

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's my dilemma. Profit is not my goal.

Say I was a teenager back in the 60's/70's and bought a 69SS camaro and modded it. If I still had it today then I would probably want it back to stock because:
1. There aren't that many around any more (I like to have what most people don't have or can't get)
2. The value would be more (not really a big deal since I wouldn't want to sell it though).

And being it is a 91 sport they are kind of rare. If it was just an LX I wouldn't give it a second thought. But if I did sell the engine and trans would I regret it later? I wish I had a magical crystal ball, it would make this easier.

This is what I have been debating since I bought the car.

As long as the car isn't in a wreck it will stay in good shape. It's been garaged its whole life and will be until the day it dies or I die. It could use a paint job due to rock chips, basically it's a diamond in the ruff.

The only thing that wont be reversible is subframe connectors (welding).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts