TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I already have the Jerry chip on my '96 V8 sport with the 80mm LMAF. As it is, the thing shifts hard and makes wierd noises. I think it may be an accumulator spring that is broke and allowing the accumulator to slam against whatever is at each end of it. But anyways, I ordered the parts from 5 Star to drill the holes, replace parts such as 1-2 accum and springs, 2-3 accum and springs, etc.

My question is, after I modify the separator plate, is it going to shift harder than it does now? Because my shims in my rear end are loose and it makes noise on hard shifts. If drilling the holes is going to make it shift harder, I can wait until I replace the gear and have all that taken care of. Thanks for your help guys.

Jim

P.S. anyone have a spare separator plate or a core just in case I mess things up?? Thanks!

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
I see this is your first post, welcome aboard.

If you go for the mild settings, it won't be too much worse. If it turns out to be too harsh, have the chip re-burned with softer shifting. Improved shifting is better done mechanically than digitally.

Nope...the plate is not sold seperately, and junkyards usually don't part out transmissions. i wouldn't worry about messing up. If your really worried, practice on sheet metal first.

·
Administrator
8,694 Posts
I actually did the plate mod first, then got the chip. Not much of a difference in the 1-2 shift, maybe just a bit quicker. You can add the bottom spring for the 1-2 piston to help soften the shift.Like Greenbird said, you can have the chip reburned for softer shifts if you feel they are too harsh.
Hey Matt, did you set a record for most posts in a month or what? LOL! :p

Joe

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input guys.

Actually, I'm not a newbie.... Just haven't been on in a while. I've been comming here for more than 5 years. I love this site!

Anyways, the main reason I'm doing the plate mod is really so I can replace the accumulators and springs. WHen it shifts I hear a clunk, actually more like a loud tap comming from underneath the car. I think one of the springs is broke so the piston slams into the end of the cylinder. But I don't know a thing about trannys so I could be wrong. Can anyone correct me on this? It also sometimes jerks forward and back a few times when it shifts. I hear mustangs do that sometimes so I think it's normal, but I still don't know what new parts will do.

But anyways, thanks for the info, I appreciate it!

Jim

·
Administrator
8,694 Posts
Usually a broken spring will give you harder shift than normal. It might be time to change those pistons anyway, see how it is after you do the work. Are you due for a fluid change?

Joe

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Already done that.....

Actually I added a tranny cooler and flushed the fluid maybe 10,000 miles ago. It sure needed it though!

My only other question was that someone was sending out tranny plates already drilled. You had to give him like $15 and he'd send it to you as long as you send your old, undrilled one, back to him. I was hoping someone would know who I was talking about but apparently not. Oh well. Thanks again for the input though, I appreciate it!

Jim

·
Administrator
14,226 Posts
Re: Already done that.....

jchrisos said:
My only other question was that someone was sending out tranny plates already drilled. You had to give him like $15 and he'd send it to you as long as you send your old, undrilled one, back to him. I was hoping someone would know who I was talking about but apparently not. Oh well.
They don't do that anymore.
GreenBird said:
Rodeo Joe said:
Hey Matt, did you set a record for most posts in a month or what? LOL!

Joe
Nope.
Never fear, I got off to a large start with being bored on my first vacation, I'm sure you'll pass me by the time I get back from my second one though.

·
Administrator
8,694 Posts
Jim,

Apparently people weren't sending cores back like they should have, so like ShadowDragon said "They don't do that anymore"
Drilling the plate was pretty easy, just take your time to mark out the holes you need done.

Joe

·
Registered
726 Posts
How the heck did i get on the top ten posters list? Sweet!

·
Administrator
8,694 Posts
WhiteBird101 said:
How the heck did i get on the top ten posters list? Sweet!
Practice, practice, practice! :D

Joe

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well that's really unfortunate people weren't sending back the cores. I just get nervous because one wrong move could leave me without a car for awhile. I know it's as easy as drilling the proper holes, I just have to set aside the time to really take the care to do it right. I don't have any experience working on tranny's, but this is one great way to learn them. Thanks guys and take care.

Jim

1 - 12 of 12 Posts