TCCoA Forums banner

101 - 120 of 156 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
I was watching the news coverage on that morning and on that channel, the camera was on the towers in the background and I saw the second strike. It was surreal.

I casually knew one of the pentagon victims.. Bob Hymel had an unusual story as Providence allowed him to survive his B 52 crashing in Viet Nam, only to be killed with another crash.
http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/rjhymel.htm

IIRC, His funeral was the occasion for the first low pass of a multi-engine plane over DC, after 9/11; on request of his wife Pat.

Along with all the Firefighter, Police and FLt 93 passenger heroes, we also need to remember one of the outstanding heroes, of the day and all time:

Rick Rescorla - he was a Soldier Once and Young and always a hero.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I remember this day very well. I was in 5th grade, and an announcement came over the PA asking teachers to turn off their TVs and radios. We all found this to be odd, but being that we were in 5th grade, thought nothing of it. I found out later from my mother and thought she was joking for about an hour until I saw it on TV.

·
Super Moderator
10,330 Posts
I'm kinda disappointed that we didn't glass the entire mideast. :zdevil:

I'm also sorry that our rotten-to-the-core government pressured the guy from Florida to not burn korans.

I gotta think burning korans would piss them off; it would make them a lot easier to pick out of the crowd. Killing people is much easier than making them like us. :)

I know we're having a bonfire tonight... :zbeer:

It's a stand-in for the Hell that osama will be burning in for eternity, sorry-ass #$%^#%^%%^.

"Kill-em-all; God knows his own."

(this comment was posted before I had my coffee...)
"We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender,"

I still prefer Churchill's approach to Chamberlains'.

:usa:
You can drill thru glass. And I really don't care how much money any corporations would lose.

I never thought the Zombie Invasion would be chanting "Allah Akbar!", lol. Shoot for the Turban. :)
There's not much to add to this...

·
Beer and Cheese
7,386 Posts
My wife and I picked pears on our pear tree. We found a little friend that helps eat most the bugs so the pears don't rot. These are the days that we cherish and are most thankful for. We also remember our military members who are serving and protecting us so that we can have beautiful days like this. Please remember our fallen heroes and protectors...never forget this day. 343! :usa:

·
Registered
313 Posts
I was in 7th grade. Just started PT. We spent the whole class period in the locker room watching the news in the coachs office. 5 years later I was at MEPS to join the Military. 10 years later I'm outprocessing to deploy again. My life from the last 10 years is a direct result from that day. I think about why I joined and I wouldn't trade my last 5 years for anything.

387! and 2!

·
Super Moderator
11,877 Posts
Bump.

Never Forget!
Another year gone by and the memories are just as painful. :(

God bless the victims, their families and all the military personnel who served and continue to serve in defense of our Country and most importantly those who have made the ultimate sacrifice.

:usa: :ssalute:

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Never Forgotten...

·
Super Moderator
11,877 Posts
... and they're still dying! How hard it must be for the families especially around the anniversary of the attacks. :(

I just saw where the widow of one of the United 93 pilots died of an accidental overdose of - get this now - alcohol, painkillers, anti-depression drugs and anti-anxiety drugs.

R.I.P. Sandy Dahl :angel2:

Read the story here and a more personal story here.

·
PostWhore, The AFDB is on a lil tight.
3,868 Posts
Wow thats a mix...alcohol, painkillers, anti-depression drugs and anti-anxiety drugs. Just no way was a story like that going to end up nice at all.

·
Registered
69 Posts
You know around here i didn't see anyone make a big deal about it but i still remember like it was yesterday going back to 6th grade class and seeing one of my classmates crying because her dad was in the army it didn't seem real seeing it on tv

·
Registered
384 Posts
Never Forget 9/11

The following 9-11 poem was written by Paul Spreadbury on September 14, 2001. Some have criticized Mr. Spreadbury for content, grammar or style. Yet the simple words were an attempt to explain to his young child what happened to those who lost their lives.

Two Thousand One, Nine Eleven

~ Paul Spreadbury, York Beach, ME, [email protected]rthlink.net

Two thousand one, nine eleven
Five thousand plus arrive in heaven.
As they pass through the gate,
Thousands more appear in wait
A tall bearded man with stovepipe hat
Steps forward saying, “Lets sit, lets chat.

They settle down in seats of clouds
A man named Martin shouts out proud
“I have a dream!” and once he did
The Newcomer says, “Your dream still lives.”

Groups of soldiers in blue and gray
Others in khaki, and green then say
“We’re from Bull Run, Yorktown, the Maine”
The Newcomer says, “You died not in vain.”

From a man on sticks one could hear
“The only thing we have to fear.”
The Newcomer said, “We know the rest,
trust us sir, we’ve passed that test.”

“Courage doesn’t hide in caves
You can’t bury freedom, in a grave,”
The Newcomers had heard this voice before
A distinct Yankees twang from Hyannisport shores

A silence fell within the mist
Somehow the Newcomer knew that this
Meant time had come for her to say
What was in the hearts of the five thousand plus that day

Back on Earth, we wrote reports,
Watched our children play in sports
Worked our gardens, sang our songs
Went to church and clipped coupons

We smiled, we laughed, we cried,
we fought Unlike you, great we’re not”
The tall man in the stovepipe hat Stood and said,
“Don’t talk like that!
Look at your country,
look and see You died for freedom, just like me”

Then, before them all appeared a scene
Of rubbled streets and twisted beams
Death, destruction, smoke and dust And people working just ‘cause they must

Hauling ash, lifting stones,
Knee deep in hell, but not alone
“Look! Blackman, Whiteman, Brownman, Yellowman
Side by side helping their fellow man!”

So said Martin, as he watched the scene
“Even from nightmares, can be born a dream.”

Down below three firemen raised
The colors high into ashen haze
The soldiers above had seen it before
On Iwo Jima back in ‘44

The man on sticks studied everything closely
Then shared his perceptions on what he saw mostly
“I see pain, I see tears,
I see sorrow - but I don’t see fear.”

“You left behind husbands and wives
Daughters and sons and so many lives
are suffering now because of this wrong
But look very closely. You’re not really gone.

All of those people, even those who’ve never met you
All of their lives, they’ll never forget you
Don’t you see what has happened? Don’t you see what you’ve done? You’ve brought them together, together as one.”

With that the man in the stovepipe hat said “Take my hand,”
and from there he led three thousand plus heroes,

Newcomers to heaven
On this day, two thousand one, nine eleven.​

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
After watching the attacks over again this morning it's just so vivid. It's not the acts that I see anymore taking place, it's watching the planes explode and knowing how many people were in them, it's watching the buildings burn and knowing people were inside fearing for their lives and dying. It's September 11, 2001 that made me choose my Homeland Security Degree program, as well as my Emergency Management Degree, and I will be happy to graduate in December and serve our nation to prevent such atrocities.

It's funny, I had court this morning for an accident I had at work (ran into another vehicle who was driving improperly) I was in court for following too closely, and they deemed today that he was drunk at the time of the accident and was at fault. I felt an immediate sigh of relief and call me crazy but I felt a calming feeling coming from somewhere. Needless to say the ticket was dismissed completely and my driving record is clean as a whistle yet again. Words can't describe how happy I am right now. Justice on September 11, 2013, lets just say I will definately 'Never Forget'.

·
Super Moderator
11,877 Posts
Wow, you got lucky Ian.

Back on topic:

God bless 'em! :usa:

It's hard to remember. Not literally but physically. I still get emotional when I think about the events of that day. I've never told this story here, but the son of one of my neighbors was nearly in the Windows on the World restaurant that morning but by the grace of God was running late to his meeting and wasn't in the building at the time of the attacks.

Locally, I was driving through one of the towns in the area this afternoon and was proud to see every flag that I passed was flown at half-staff in memory of those lost on that day.

·
Registered
135 Posts
i was 12 at the time... i was about to head out to school when the 2nd one went in it was about 645am tuesday sept 11,2001. I remember that day like it was yesterday.... Schools were on lockdown, teachers were crying etc. R.I.P to all those who lost their lives that day.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I didn't have classes that day, so I drove down to Sandy Hook to go watch it. If you looked up in the sky, all you could see was smoke trailing south for miles upon miles. I got there right as the second tower fell.

Sucks that all I had was this crappy 35mm camera, but this is what I saw:

on that pic you can see a fighter jet

·
Super Moderator
11,877 Posts
Wow!

Yea, thanks for sharing that photo. The world really changed that day.

It's odd you should mention Sandy Hook (park?) since that's the same name of the school where all those kids were killed. Irony?

·
Registered
531 Posts
The son of a friend of mine was killed in Afghanistan on 13OCT13

I believe he was the KIA in this Reuters report:

<em><b>Afghan in uniform shoots at U.S. soldiers in country's east
Reuters – Sun, Oct 13, 2013.. </b>

KABUL (Reuters) - An Afghan man wearing an Afghan army uniform shot at U.S. soldiers in eastern Afghanistan, killing at least one serviceman on Sunday, local officials and the NATO-led coalition said.

The so-called "insider attack" in Paktika province is the fourth in less than a month and is likely to strain already tense ties between coalition troops and their allies, with most foreign troops scheduled to withdraw by the end of next year.

A Reuters tally shows Sunday's incident was the tenth this year, and took the death toll of foreign personnel to 15.

"A man wearing an Afghan army uniform shot at Americans in Sharana city (the provincial capital) near the governor's office," said an Afghan official, adding that two soldiers had been hit by the gunfire.

The NATO-led coalition confirmed one soldier had been shot by a man in security forces uniform, but did not comment on his nationality or whether the Afghan was wearing a army uniform.

Insider attacks threaten to further undermine waning support for the war among Western nations sending troops to Afghanistan.

A similar flurry of attacks last year prompted the NATO-led force to briefly suspend all joint activities and take steps to curb interaction between foreign and Afghan troops.

That has cut down the number of incidents, but some soldiers say the measures have further eroded the hard-won trust painstakingly nurtured between the allies over more than 12 years of war.

Late on Saturday, U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry and Afghan President Hamid Karzai announced they had reached preliminary agreement on a bilateral security pact that now depends on the approval of Afghanistan's tribal leaders.

(Reporting by Mirwais Harooni; Writing by Jessica Donati; Editing by Clarence Fernandez)</em>

<b>We tend to think soldiers are not dying anymore, but take a look at these U.S. casualty figures since 2001. I believe the total figure so far is 2189.</b>

<table border="1"><tr bgcolor=lightblue><th >Year</th><th >Jan</th><th >Feb</th><th >Mar</th><th >Apr</th><th >May</th><th >Jun</th><th >Jul</th><th >Aug</th><th >Sep</th><th >Oct</th><th >Nov</th><th >Dec</th><th >Total</th></tr><tr><td>2001</td><td >0</td><td >0</td><td >0</td><td >0</td><td >0</td><td >0</td><td >0</td><td >0</td><td >0</td><td >3</td><td >5</td><td >4</td><td >12</td></tr><tr><td>2002</td><td >10</td><td >12</td><td >9</td><td >5</td><td >1</td><td >3</td><td >0</td><td >1</td><td >1</td><td >5</td><td >1</td><td >1</td><td >49</td></tr><tr><td>2003</td><td >4</td><td >7</td><td >12</td><td >2</td><td >1</td><td >3</td><td >2</td><td >4</td><td >2</td><td >4</td><td >6</td><td >1</td><td >48</td></tr><tr><td>2004</td><td >9</td><td >2</td><td >3</td><td >3</td><td >8</td><td >5</td><td >2</td><td >3</td><td >4</td><td >5</td><td >7</td><td >1</td><td >52</td></tr><tr><td>2005</td><td >2</td><td >1</td><td >6</td><td >18</td><td >4</td><td >27</td><td >2</td><td >15</td><td >11</td><td >7</td><td >3</td><td >3</td><td >99</td></tr><tr><td>2006</td><td >1</td><td >17</td><td >7</td><td >1</td><td >11</td><td >18</td><td >9</td><td >10</td><td >6</td><td >10</td><td >7</td><td >1</td><td >98</td></tr><tr><td>2007</td><td >0</td><td >14</td><td >5</td><td >8</td><td >11</td><td >12</td><td >14</td><td >18</td><td >8</td><td >10</td><td >11</td><td >6</td><td >117</td></tr><tr><td>2008</td><td >7</td><td >1</td><td >8</td><td >5</td><td >17</td><td >28</td><td >20</td><td >22</td><td >27</td><td >16</td><td >1</td><td >3</td><td >155</td></tr><tr><td>2009</td><td >15</td><td >15</td><td >13</td><td >6</td><td >12</td><td >25</td><td >45</td><td >51</td><td >40</td><td >59</td><td >18</td><td >18</td><td >317</td></tr><tr> <td>2010</td><td >30</td><td >31</td><td >26</td><td >20</td><td >34</td><td >60</td><td >65</td><td >55</td><td >42</td><td >50</td><td >53</td><td >33</td><td >499</td></tr><tr><td>2011</td><td >25</td><td >20</td><td >31</td><td >46</td><td >35</td><td >47</td><td >37</td><td >71</td><td >42</td><td >31</td><td >18</td><td >15</td><td >418</td></tr><tr><td>2012</td><td >26</td><td >16</td><td >18</td><td >35</td><td >40</td><td >29</td><td >41</td><td >39</td><td >19</td><td >18</td><td >16</td><td >13</td><td >310</td></tr><tr><td>2013</td><td >3</td><td >1</td><td >15</td><td >14</td><td >22</td><td >17</td><td >13</td><td >11</td><td >10</td><td >7</td><td >0</td><td >0</td><td >113</td></tr><table>

More casualty details here:

http://icasualties.org/oef/

You have to figure the walking wounded figures are a lot higher, not to mention survivors of the deceased and care givers. It's sad to think this has become so commonplace that the national news agencies no longer report it.

101 - 120 of 156 Posts