TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an AOD transmission connected to a ford 302 in my 1941 special deluxe coupe I don't know the year of the transmission. We've been having problems since we got it, I just picked off a number from the side of the transmission where the kickdown cable connects. I'm pretty sure it reads: RF-E9DP-7006-AA. I am wondering if I can find the year of this transmission to get a rebuild kit or find any other things needing to fix. The problem I am having is it won't kickdown properly, it has trouble downshifting which sometimes stalls the engine. It also has a small leak that I diagnosed in that spot. This could be the solenoid or some thing inside the tranny needing it to be rebuilt. I tweaked the kickdown cable to where it should be, it worked better but still had trouble. Any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
7,928 Posts
If you drove the car more than around the block with the TV cable misadjusted, the trans is likely fried. I can’t tell you the exact year, but E9 is a 1989 part number.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So would I need a rebuild kit for 1989? I found one for 1990-1993 there's one earlier years. And we recently put a efi carb in it and have drove allot in it to get it set. Thank you for the information.

·
SuperNewbie
1995 Thunderbird LX 4.6 red
3,138 Posts
So would I need a rebuild kit for 1989? I found one for 1990-1993 there's one earlier years. And we recently put a efi carb in it and have drove allot in it to get it set. Thank you for the information.
The internals for most AOD's are pretty similar. Some of the differences are the materials the drums are made of. Some care cast, some are stamped steel. That is the major part of what you need to know. The steels are different depending which drums you have. Ideally you want stamped drums.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts