TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay guys, I have a dilemma here. I cannot seem to decide on which car to take to the drag strip tomorrow night. My choices are the Thunderbird and the Mustang. The Thunderbird has had all of it's maintenance done, it's in tip top shape and has all the mods listed in my sig. The Mustang has been kind of neglected due to the T-bird getting all the attention over the past few years. Still has stock brakes, shocks are kinda worn, and the engine and transmission has roughly 250,000 miles on them. I want to take the Mustang because it is fun to drive and is much lighter than the Thunderbird. Also, I have not taken it to the strip before, so I don't know how well it would perform. This may seem like a no brainer, but the Thunderbird is my DD, I need it to get me to school on a daily basis, although, I could use the Mustang for that in case something does break. So if either vehicle breaks, I still have transportation. The Mustang has been pretty reliable when I've needed it to be. The Mustang has premium fuel in the tank right now and I have bumped the timing up since I only use premium and this car is my "play toy" of sorts. The T-bird has a full tank of regular though, I forgot to fill with premium the other day instead of regular. As some of you may know, I'm a broke college kid. I've been having this itch to go fast lately and the drag strip is my only real outlet for that. It's a major stress reliever too, which I kinda need right now (long story behind that).

TL;DR I wanna eat some rice, I have my soy sauce ready, but cannot decide which car to take. Which is less likely to break?

·
Super Moderator
7,493 Posts
Go for the Mustang. For starters, with a full tank of regular in the middle of August, you probably aren't going to break any records with the bird, plus with the Mustang being lighter, a manual trans, and the fact that you have never run it before, I think it will make for a much more fun evening, even if it may not be as fast as the bird.

·
3,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Now the only thing that could be a damper with the Mustang is that the synchro or blocker ring is really worn out for 1st and 2nd gear. I usually have to double clutch it when the engine is over 3000 rpm to avoid grinding the gears. However, I have done this so much, it is practically second nature for me and can still make a quick 1-2 gear shift.

·
Super Moderator
7,493 Posts
Eh, let it grind. Just make sure the clutch is all the way depressed and slam it into 2nd, at least on the last run just to see what it will really do.

·
3,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Maybe I can burn all the regular out? I'm at 3/4 tank right now.

Edit: drained all the regular out into gasoline containers, filled with premium. I asked my mom, she told me to take the T-bird because she doesn't think the Mustang will be as likely to hold up. She don't want to drive 2 hours to pick me up, can't blame her! lol

·
3,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Darn. Drove all the way there to see that it got rained out. Major bummer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts