TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently replaced the serpentine belt on my PI swapped 96 LX because it was about 3 years old and cracked pretty bad.

Immediately after replacing the belt, I started hearing a pretty loud "CHIRP" sounding noise on the 1-2 shift, appears to be coming from the engine although it is hard to be sure because it only happens on upshifts while driving. It doesnt seem to be a screech sound like the belt slipping, more like a bearing noise. My first guess is the belt tensioner/or the bearing itself. I have a tranny built by Darrin that shifts pretty hard, especially on the 1-2 shift and have always wondered how those hard shifts could effect the engine accessories long term.

Unless someone has input on something else to check first, my next question is what tensioner do I get? I know to do the PI swap I had to get a 94-95 timing chain cover, but I don't remember what belt tensioner I used...are they different between the 94-95 and 96-97?

I am also worried that it might be the water pump, or maybe a bearing engine or transmission related, but I am going to start with the simple stuff first...

Thanks for any help, you guys have been a great resource for information in turning my Bird into quite the low key "sleeper" powerhouse!

·
Registered
623 Posts
It's the belt. My belt chirps occasionally on a 1-2 shift as well. If anything was worn out, ie tensioner bearing, it would make noise all the time. By the way, you can buy pulleys for the tensioner separate from an entire tensioner assembly. It would be quite the coincidence the noise started when you put your new belt on and something else was causing said 'chirp'. What kind of belt did you buy? I had a gates belt that would chirp every hard 1-2 shift. During a junkyard run I found a brand new motorcraft belt on a car and currently use it (got it for $5, why not). Goodyear gatorback belts seem to be the best.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
It's the belt. My belt chirps occasionally on a 1-2 shift as well.
My belt chirps too during the 1-2 shift if I'm getting on it and if I'm not mistaken, I've heard it a couple times on 2-3. But after the j-mod, I just LOVE those firm shifts...lol

Daniela yells at me quite regularly :zdunno:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts