WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much, Jason? :D

·
3,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This is a serpentine belt for my Tbird, of course.

·
3,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sweet. It'll have to wait for payday. My belt was squeaking, now it isn't. Go figure...

·
Super Moderator
12,074 Posts
Could be the idler pulley going bad.

·
3,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have already replaced both idler pulleys, they have a whopping 15,000 miles on them. lol

·
Super Moderator
12,074 Posts
Well, there's always the other pulleys...

Tensioner, alternator, etc.

Unless the belt has really high mileage on it or signs of wear or stretching I'd look elsewhere first... Just a thought ...

·
3,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alternator was replaced, water pump was replaced, p/s pump was replaced, a/c pulley is fine. Asked Rob about the tensioner, he said it's most likely the belt. I put an older belt on that I originally had on the car and it didn't chirp. It had finally started chirping because it was past it's service life. I put this Dayco belt on it and it chirped from the start. The chirping goes away when the engine bay gets hot or if I spray it with water, but comes back when it dries out.

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
Ive run Dayco, Gates, Motorcraft, and Goodyear Gatorback. Only the Motorcraft and Goodyear were reliable. Since the idler and tensioner pullies are the same and cheap, its worth it to replace the belt and both pullies at once. It will narrow donw the problem.

My truck ONLY gets a Motorcraft belt.

·
3,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ive run Dayco, Gates, Motorcraft, and Goodyear Gatorback. Only the Motorcraft and Goodyear were reliable. Since the idler and tensioner pullies are the same and cheap, its worth it to replace the belt and both pullies at once. It will narrow donw the problem.

My truck ONLY gets a Motorcraft belt.
The belt I put back on that didn't make noise was a Goodyear Gatorback. Only reason I took it back off was because it was too split to use anymore. lol RobertP recommended I run a Gates or Motorcraft, Motorcraft being the best.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts