TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently shreaded my old drive belt, close to home thank god. After I put the new belt on (Correctly installed so dont ask) , my car hisses like a snake.

-I put 2 different new belts on, the gator belt and a cheaper one, and it still hisses so its not the belt.
-Checked to see if any vaccuum lines got wacked by the belt. all seem fine
-I made sure all the debree left from the old belt was taken out unless its completely behind my ac pulley.

THe hissing sound comes directly from my ac pulley. Ive had problems with my defroster but my ac still comes out cold so its not the compressor. Can the pully just be worn out, or is it the clutch inside the compressor. or debree, ANybody know.
Car runs fine.

·
Whining Intakes Rock
3,645 Posts
Did you try spinning your pulleys (the ones you can) with the belt off to see if they make any sound?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
THe pulley rotates freely when the engine is running, Idont think its friction from debree. My best guess right now is that the clutch might be out and the hissing is coming from that. Is there anyway to just replace the pully itself, without replacing the compressor and all that sh*t. ANybody have a exploded diagram of the ac pulley and compressor?

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
melecat96 said:
THe pulley rotates freely when the engine is running, Idont think its friction from debree. My best guess right now is that the clutch might be out and the hissing is coming from that. Is there anyway to just replace the pully itself, without replacing the compressor and all that sh*t. ANybody have a exploded diagram of the ac pulley and compressor?
I'd replace the two idler pulleys first - the one of the tensioner and the one on the timing cover.

About $10 each.

The one on the tensioner is the same as the one on the cover.

Yes - The Compressor pulley/clutch can be removed with the comressor in the car.

But I doubt that's your prob.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I already replaced those 2 pulleys about 4 months ago, so they can't be the problem. Is there a proper lubricant to use or grease for the drive belt and pulleys?

·
Registered
921 Posts
If any of your friends ask, just tell them it's the wastegate letting off all that extra boost your running. When they ask to see the motor, tell them the hood is broken.:)

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Try pushing in on your belt to see if you can compress the tensioner easily by hand. I have to order a new tensioner tomorrow from Dan Newman. I replaced both pulleys, and my belt still squealed, so I pushed on the belt, and I can move the tensioner easily with only a couple fingers.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ya my tensioner is hard as hell to move, only can b done with a drive. I considered the tension might b off tho. THe belt can only b pushed and pulled a 1/2 an inch back and forth, so it seems fine. I just want this obnoxiously loud hissing to go away. I've been already getting the looks, wow his car looks great but sounds like sh*t! Its louder than my exhaust. The other thing is the sound stop when i give it gas.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
THis morning I started my car to go to work and the belt was perfectly quiet. The sound hasn't come back all day either... so mayb it just took a day to ware in, who knows. I popped the hood and everything was fine.

THanks for your input guys but my car seemed to fix itself!

·
Moderator, Red Sox Nation Rabid Fan, TCCoAAC Found
3,165 Posts
badger badger badger badger badger mushroom mushrooom SNAAAAAAAAAAAKE

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's funny how things work out. And yes, I did floor it, many times... It's nice to hear exhaust and engine, without the hiss! and badgers have nothing to do with it. Although whoever made that was a genius.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts