TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been through 4 serpentine belts replace my alternator, water pump, tensioner pulley, and idler pully and my serpentine belt is squeeking lik he77. Did the PI head/intake swap 9 months ago other than that stock. any ideas?

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Did u pull the power steering pump pulley off

·
Premium Member
1,268 Posts
One of the pulleys is probably not aligned properly.

You can check with a straightedge across the face of each pulley. They must all be in alignment with each other and also be parallel with each other.

Common culprits are pulleys that have been changed (PS pump, alternator, etc...) and have a different offset with the new pulley.

Also the tensioner pivot can wear causing the tensioner pulley to be angular to the others. This causes the belt to run askew to the pulley causing a noise.

One trick... next time remove the belt and "flip it over" to re-install. ;)

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
"Flip it over"?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think he means turn it around I'll give that a shot and yes I had to remove the power steering pump to get the timing chain cover off to do the head swap

·
Premium Member
1,268 Posts
I think he means turn it around I'll give that a shot ...
Yeah. make it run the opposite way.

I had one giving me fits once. After several attempts to diagnose the problem, as I held the belt in my hands inspecting it, I had an epiphany. I flipped it around and it was golden. :D

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
no kidding....I might try that on my spare serpentine belt, it squeaks.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The bearing went south on the alternator again.... oreilleys gave me one free but it'll eff up again in a couple of months so I need to check the accessory alignment. my crank pulley is rotating in a weird fashion, maybe a junkyard replacement?

·
Super Moderator
4,889 Posts
It wasn't rotating smoothly it has a bit of wobble. BTW the ?_%[email protected] belt started squeeking again
Wobble.

That's just about the definition of a failing harmonic balancer.

Or a bad install of the pulley.

I'd opt for the balancer due to the age of these cars.

Good news - for a 4.6, at RockAuto they range from $42 to $110 ($163 for the racing version) for the Dorman / ATP units. The Motorcraft one is $117 at FordPartsGiant.COM . If ordering from FPG, I'd recommend you go ahead and get the crank bolt and washers while you're at it.

That squeaking could EASILY be due to the pulley wobbling, also.

RwP

·
Super Moderator
9,153 Posts
If you're interested I've got the original balancer from my car that I don't need anymore...

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
If the crank pulley is wobbling, check the bolts that mount the pulley to the harmonic balancer itself. The pulley bolts
to the HB center which is mounted on the crank pretty solidly. Loose bolts or a cracked pulley center can cause a squeak
in use.

Only the outer weight of the HB is mounted via rubber and when it wobbles, then it's definately time for a new HB.
:eek:

EDITED .... I FORGOT .... YES, the outer ring IS the pulley, pulley not bolted on as most others are. So since the outer weight ring is the pulley, if it is wobbling, it is definitely time to replace.

Thank you Chris.
:)

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
If the crank pulley is wobbling, check the bolts that mount the pulley to the harmonic balancer itself. The pulley bolts
to the HB center which is mounted on the crank pretty solidly. Loose bolts or a cracked pulley center can cause a squeak
in use.

Only the outer weight of the HB is mounted via rubber and when it wobbles, then it's definately time for a new HB.
The 4.6 has no such bolts, only 1 bolt holding the balancer to the crankshaft. The pulley is bonded to the balancer, once it starts to separate it's done.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I feel your pain bro for I've had to deal with the same issue ever since swapping engines. I gotta be careful not to rev her up to high when she's got a new belt or she will definetly chew off a few milimeters off the the egde of the belt. The belt goes from being 6 spline to 5 spline sometimes with a hell of a lot of travel, lol. Sometimes it's quiet or quieter without the 6th spline though but I have to replace the belt for inspections anyway and once I take it off it won't go back on without starting to squeel right away. If I allow a brand new belt to break in before romping on the gas the belt may last for a year or so but the squeeling will almost always come back before then.

The best bet is to try to adjust the power steering pulley or maybe replacing the whole assembly. I found the technical article on tccoa.com that talks about adjusting the pulley but I just haven't gotten around to buying the special tools yet.

The car my engine came from looked to have had a somewhat minor sideways front end collision on the driver's side. I could see how far everything was pushed in but the only thing visibly impacted and broken on the engine was the power steering fluid resivoir. So, I'm guessing maybe the pulley was somehow impacted too but not enough to cause a visable wobble for I can lay all day underneath that car and never see a wobble in the belt's travel.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wobble.

That's just about the definition of a failing harmonic balancer.

Or a bad install of the pulley.

I don't understand how you could install it incorrectly. but thx for the info I'm gonna order a new one

·
Super Moderator
4,889 Posts
Well, if it were a separate pulley, it may not be bolted properly to the balancer.

It's been pointed out that the pulley is integral, so THAT'S out.

Wobble == bad balancer on a 4.6 then.

(Hey, I drive a dinosaur 5.0HO with the separate pulley ... )

RwP

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
so I chased down a harmonic balancer on sunday and after 50 miles of driving to find a dorman in stock I installed it and torqued it to spec and promptly shaved an eight off of my timing chain cover. Good ol autozone sold me the wrong balancer.... should have checked it with my caliper BEFORE slappin it in. Anyway after returning it my stock balancer's "wobble" is impercetable. The latest suggestion is the rear main thrust bearing. Since it's my DD I can't pull my motor and take care of that in a reasonable amount of time. The theory is that the thrust bearing is causing crankshaft play which is wearing the serpentine belts out. Luckily (or not so depending on who you ask) I've already pulled a 4 valve with 126k on it out of a 94 mark. That motor might be living in my car a little sooner than I had planned. Any contrary suggestions (as far as the thrust bearing) would be greatly appreciated. Also how long do I have before this motor craps out?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts