TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mother's 1999 Merc Sable 3.0 DOHC needs a new serpetine belt. Can someone tell me how to do this myself. I have a garage and the tools to do it. I want to save her some money.

I can buy the belt with a lifetime warranty for $29. Shops around here want $60-$90 for the total job. Thanks for any information.

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
the auto tensioner will either have an indent for a 3/8s or 1/2 drive. Check to see which one and use the appropriate ratchet. You will be able to rotate the ratchet one of two ways, after figuring out which way, take the belt off teh easiest accessory pulley you have access to....then just follow the routing diagram on one of the decals under the hood and reverse the process.

·
Registered
77 Posts
You may want to rig up a sort of "cheater bar" arrangement to make things a little easier in rotating the self-tensioner. My dad clued me into this and it made things a lot easier when I changed the belt on my '95 XR-7. What he did was he found a length of metal pipe about three feet long and close to the size of the ratchet handle. That way you can be in a more comfortable position and exert a lesser force to move the tensioner back.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts