TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i was drivin home, and i was about a half mile from home, and the dreaded S.E.S. light came on. The car hasnt been acting funny at all lately. So im thinking when an o2 sensor goes out does it throw this? The car has almost 90k, on it, and i dont kno if the o2 sensors have been replaced or not, so ill prolly go to autozone when i drive the car again, and get the codes scanned or something.

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
wilson502 said:
and get the codes scanned or something.

That would be your best course of action.

And yes, if an o2 sensor is having a bad day, it will trip the CEL

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
damn friday the 13th, i should of known.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
remember that 97 cars have a different gauge cluster than a 94-96 car. 94-96 cars im assumin have check engine instead of service engine soon.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
also if the o2's go bad doesnt the car usually run like total crap?

·
The Band, not the Disease!
3,090 Posts
89 - 96 cars got "Check Engine" and only the 97 cluster (shared with the taurus) got "Service Engine Soon"... Also, if you go to have your codes read.. and it says something like P0172, Bank 1, sensor 1 O2 sensor low voltage or not switching or some BS... it may NOT be the O2 sensor. My 95 threw 2 codes, a P0172 and a P0171, and it said crap about the O2 sensor failing.. it WASNT the O2 sensor.. I replaced 2 O2's, and the pre cat sensors, 320 bucks down the drain.. you know what my problem was? The car was running rich, and because of that the computer threw a code that had a little to do with the car running rich. It was a dirty MAF. I cleaned the MAF and boom... CEL was gone. Clean your MAF... it's in the tech articles.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i was drivin to school today, i got on the freeway, car runs like normal, i didnt see it hesistate, idles just like it did, shifts like it did, the car itself runs the same, if that is a hint.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well when i started the car this morning, the service engine light shut off. Weird. Hasnt come back on since, if it does, ill let u guys know.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts