TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just refueling after washing the car and after that when driving home my '97 LX service engine soon -light comes on. The car is idling perfect and accelerates normal.

I have any idea where to start. Can I drive the car if the light stays on? Please help me.

BTW, how can I reset the engine soon -light?

Thanks!

Sami

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,781 Posts
Invest in a small code reader it will tell you the code plus you can reset the light . That being said you just filled up is your gas cap on tight ? My wifes car will do that. turn the light on with a loose cap

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Pull fuse #15 from the underhood block (is a blue one IIRC), crank the car over a few times (it won't start), replace fuse and take a drive.

Jay

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Again, thanks to everyone for the answers!:) This is great forum!:cool:

Still one question; what is the cheapest place to buy the code reader?

Sami

·
Registered
36 Posts
Again, thanks to everyone for the answers!:) This is great forum!:cool:

Still one question; what is the cheapest place to buy the code reader?

Sami

Ebay!!! Gotta wait to get it, but a good used unit is better than retail price for new... OR better is find a buddy that has one...

Good luck!

Cheers!!

·
Registered
483 Posts
buy an xcal2 and then you get a tune{s} as well as a code reader...

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
BTW, what is the key word when searching mn12 thunderbird parts on Ebay. I lost my bookmark and when I tried again I only find two pages of parts.:confused:

If someone could send me a straight link to them.

Sami

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hello guys!

My LX did this same thing again today. I pressed the pedal little harder and then ..bling...service engine soon -light came on.

How often this can happen that I don't have to be worry about it?

I still don't have the code reader...

-Sami-

·
Registered
28 Posts
how many miles are on the car? i know when the check engine light came on in my lincoln, it was either a bad cat or a egr code being thrown.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
how many miles are on the car? i know when the check engine light came on in my lincoln, it was either a bad cat or a egr code being thrown.
It just turned 100K miles...

But again the car worked very well. The idle was ok, it accelerated like normal, everything was ok but the light stays on. Now I just take the number 15 fuse away and gave it a start and then put the fuse back again. Now the light is gone...but how long?

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
It just turned 100K miles...

But again the car worked very well. The idle was ok, it accelerated like normal, everything was ok but the light stays on. Now I just take the number 15 fuse away and gave it a start and then put the fuse back again. Now the light is gone...but how long?
depends on why it came on in the first case. Usually if the system fails 3X (there are exceptions) on 3 different 'drive cycles' your light will come on.

·
Premium Member
2,546 Posts
Sampo you really need to invest in some sort of code reader or take it to a place that can read the codes... They will get you closer to fixing it than just guessing what could be wrong. There could be like 30 thousand different things wrong. Right down to a loose connection on something.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts