TCCoA Forums banner

service engine soon vs emissions

743 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  ITHURTZ 
#1 ·
i have the service engine light soon light on.. and i have to go to emissions soon... will this affect my passing?

for as i know they just sniff my cars ***.....

#2 ·
What year car is it? Also, what kind of emissions do you have? Just inspection or the dyno also?

If its '96 and up and you have a CEL, you will fail. They plug into ur ECM and read emissions codes directly at "96 and up.

If its older, it will be dynoed so just unplug the battery for a while and the code should go away temporarily.

#3 ·
first off i dont like that cop thing under urname that scares me!! the car is a 90 caddy seville...... last i knew they just dynoed and sniff the butt... how long to unplug the battery and how long wil it last to keep the code away?

#4 ·
Ok, do you know whats causing the code? Autozone checks codes for free around here. Unplug it for like 5 minutes, but depending on the code, it could come right back on. And even if you get rid of the code, chances are on that old of a car, that you will fail. My '89 Caprice failed and i didnt even have any codes! That pissed me off. Happened to be a bad O2 sensor. Anyway, good luck.

#5 ·
no clue what code is.. it goes on for like a fe wweeks.. then says SERVICE ENGINE NOW.. i tell it to screw off.. it goes away few weeks later.. then few weeks later SERVICE ENGINE SOON.... then turns off.. kinda funny.... runs fine im thnkin maybe a little rich but other than that its ok.... guess well hope and see.. id oubt they can do anything cause in 16days i wont even be in this time zone lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.