TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Illinois recently changed emissions laws and I've been "rejected" (not failed) due to unsupported monitors. My EEC has been flashed and tuned to accommodate the AED supercharger, which I assume bypasses and turns off all monitors (except comp component and fuel system). I can't renew my license plate sticker until I pass and I've already gotten a ticket.

Is there a way to temporarily set all monitors to Ready to pass emissions?

More specifically, I need the following monitors to function correcty:

Catalytic Converter Efficiency

Heated Oxygen Sensor

Oxygen Sensor .​

The remaining monitors include:

Engine Misfire

A/C Refrigerant

Evaporative Control System

EGR Flow

Secondary Air System

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
17,641 Posts
If it's just oxygen sensors you need you could probably just turn them back on in the tune and run a pair of MIL eliminators, if you don't have cats that is. Not all of the secondary monitors are even supported by this chassis, including Secondary Air System, so if they aren't requiring those, don't worry about them.

Glad I have a 94.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the suggestions.

How can I turn the monitors on without getting the computer reflashed?

·
Super Moderator
7,698 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions.

How can I turn the monitors on without getting the computer reflashed?
You can't.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can I pull an EEC from the junkyard just to pass? Not sure how that works...

·
Super Moderator
7,698 Posts
If you pull a stock EEC out of the junkyard, it will be calibrated for the stock MAF and injectors, so without swapping those parts back to stock, it will throw codes, which will still cause you to fail. According to your signature, you have cats on this car, so the cat and O2 monitors never should have been turned off in the first place. Also, unless you deleted the EGR or anything with the EVAP system, those monitors should also be enabled in the tune. The solution to pass emissions is you need a new tune, that accounts for your modifications and enables all the factory monitors, and then if it throws any codes at that point, the individual codes need to be diagnosed and addressed.

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,576 Posts
The monitors are probably disabled in your tune, which prevents the check engine light from coming on for detected "problems" due to the absence of certain emissions equipment. That's why you failed.

The monitors can be re-enabled in the tune but they need time to run and analyze the state of the emissions equipment on the car. After the monitors run you'll either get a check engine light because certain systems are missing or disabled, or you'll not get a check engine light because everything is in good working order.

There's no way to "set the monitors to ready" so you can pass. As soon as the PCM loses power, the monitors are reset because they're stored in the PCM's keep alive memory, which requires constant power to maintain.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Understood.

I assume that there is some time between the monitors switching to Ready and the Check Engine Light coming on. Once the monitors are ready, there has got to be a period of analyzing that occurs. I was hoping to install the temporary EEC and drive within close proximity to the test facility, while hooked up to my OBD iPad app until I see the monitors ready. As soon as the show ready, go right to the testing station and cross my fingers...

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,576 Posts
The period between when a monitor is run and completes is the time of analysis (check out the Ford drive cycle to see under what conditions the different monitors run). As soon as the PCM is reset, the monitor states are cleared and the P1000 code shows up. That P1000 code is stored in memory until all the monitors finish running. If a monitor is commanded to run and detects a problem, it throws a code right then and there. If the monitors show ready, that means they've already analyzed their respective subsystems and determined that they are all operating within tolerances. Either all the monitors are ready (no codes), some or all of the monitors have not run (P1000) or the monitors have run and detected problems and triggered codes as a result.

·
Super Moderator
7,698 Posts
The monitors don't all run at once. They run individually, based on your driving and when the right conditions come up. As soon as a monitor runs, if it fails, it trips the check engine light. There is no time delay. I don't know about your state, but in NJ you are allowed up to 2 monitors to be not ready, as long as neither of them is the catalytic converter or EVAP. So the first question would be does your car have cats on it? If no, then you need to install them. Second question would be when you installed the AED kit, did you disconnect, remove, or otherwise disable anything having to do with the EVAP system? If you did, then you need to fix/reinstall whatever that was. The 3rd question would be when you installed the AED kit, did you delete or disable the EGR? If you didn't mess with the EVAP or EGR, and if you have cats installed in your car, then what you need is a new tune, for the AED and the MAF and injectors that you have, and enabling all readiness monitors to run. If you did delete the EGR, then you need the tune for your current setup, and only turning off the monitor for EGR. That way, you will go through inspection, only the EGR monitor will not be run, and you should pass just fine. If you don't want to spend the money on a tune, the only thing you could do would be to swap in another ECM out of a junkyard, swap back your stock MAF and stock injectors, and a stock intake, then drive the car until the monitors run, go through inspection, and then swap everything back, and then have to re-do that whole deal every 2 years to pass inspection. So realistically, the only way you will get this car through inspection is to get a new tune that enables the monitors to run. There is no getting around that any way, any how. Understand?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts