TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I got the engine up and running, what would be the proper way to set the timing? I'm sure that the original setting is not correct with a bigger cam and chip.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
Now that I got the engine up and running, what would be the proper way to set the timing? I'm sure that the original setting is not correct with a bigger cam and chip.
I'm assuming you have a distributor vs. EDIS.
1) Get a light gun. I bought one on Craiglist for $10 (Craftsman used) and it was a lot better than the crappy one I first bought from Harbor Freight.

2) Warm the engine up and set the ECU to NOT advance timing. This is done by disconnecting the Spark Out connector.

3) Set it for 10 degrees using the gun. Adjustment is done by loosening the bolt that holds the distributor down and rotating it.

-g

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
3) Set it for 10 degrees using the gun. Adjustment is done by loosening the bolt that holds the distributor down and rotating it.

-g
How do you do this if you don't have the timing scale on the harmonic balancer?

·
Super Moderator
4,941 Posts
How do you do this if you don't have the timing scale on the harmonic balancer?
Clean the balancer off.

If it STILL doesn't have the scale (mine showed up after I got a layer of rust off of it ... I used some citrolene cleaner and cranked it with the ignition off, I just LOVE my remote starter switch!), then there's always units like the Mr. Gasket tape I have on my 5.0HO (strictly because I had problems reading the scale, not because it didn't HAVE the scale ... )

Or upgrade to something like the BHJ balancer, which is clearly marked.

RwP

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Interesting. No, it is NOT dirty or covered, it is NOT there. Just the TDC mark.

I'll see if I can get a pic.

Got one:

·
Super Moderator
4,941 Posts
Interesting. No, it is NOT dirty or covered, it is NOT there. Just the TDC mark.

I'll see if I can get a pic.

Got one:

Umm ...

Exactly WHAT are those numbers to the right of the mark you're pointing to?

You know, the ones that go -10 iIiIiI 0 iIiIi 10 iIiIi etc.

Funny, those look JUST LIKE the timing marks on my dampener ...

RwP

Edit: Typed "left", meant "right". Styped kybard ...

·
Registered
139 Posts
Umm ...

Exactly WHAT are those numbers to the right of the mark you're pointing to?

You know, the ones that go -10 iIiIiI 0 iIiIi 10 iIiIi etc.

Funny, those look JUST LIKE the timing marks on my dampener ...

RwP

Edit: Typed "left", meant "right". Styped kybard ...
Yea, what Ralph said. The marks are just to the right of the notch on the dampener. Clean it off with some scotch bright and they will show up better.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Okay, so what is the timing for this year and model? 1994 Mercury Cougar 3.8l / 4r70w?

My car was wrecked before I bought it and they did not leave the sticker on the front end with the details about this engine, such as timing, etc.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
Okay, so what is the timing for this year and model? 1994 Mercury Cougar 3.8l / 4r70w?

Thanks.
10* BTDC I believe. It's on the sticker on the rad support. Pull the little grey plug on the passenger fender before you start.

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
10* BTDC is what you're looking for.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
10* BTDC is what you're looking for.
That's what I set it at. I could find NOTHING relating to the timing for that engine. I need to make one of those papers that is taped to the frame in front of the radiator with all this info on it.

Thanks.

Got some MAF cleaner and sprayed it clean. It had build up on the sensor that faces the air cleaner.

Next is the coolant and engine oil.

Got some new front shock/struts, fuel filter, upper hose and t-stat gasket from Rock Auto. Dirt cheap!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts