TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I searched the Seafoma thing and I am not sure how to go about it. I have thoroughly cleaned the maf, and it has a complete tune. We did it when we replaced the intake gaskets. Plugs, oil, trans fluid/filter, valve cover gaskets, new hoses, radiator flush, pretty much everything. I am at a loss on this one. I havn't had it near redline at all. I never gun it off the line. I am lost. It sounds like your shaking a rattle can anywhere above 1000. OUCH!

·
Registered
171 Posts
It may take several seafoamings to get all the crap out. These mod motors can be extremely sensitive about carbon buildup and pinging

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
id say it's air/fuel deficiency, which can be caused by many things.....(assuming the maf is working properly) it could be related to the fuel pump on its last legs, clogged fuel filter, malfunctioning fuel pressure regulator....possibly even malfunctioning upper O2 sensors would cause the rattle-can noise due to improperly delivered amounts of fuel

so tell me, has this car been neglected in any way? do you know the history of the car? (mainly concerning the fuel system)

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All I know is that the car, when I bought it $500, had been a daily driver with high miles. The check engine light was on. I ran an OBDII and it coded as ineffecient exhaust flow, a dead cylinder, and no egr. I don't know if it has been neglected. It doesn't appear to be considering the shape the car is in and the shape of the engine when we did the routine maintenance. It appeared to heve relatively knew intake gasketes. It seemed to be pretty well taken care of for the most part. I'm concerned that it may have been overheated. The kid said it got hot once. I am not getting any fuel pump whine like I got on my mustang prior to the pump going. I am at a loss.

·
Faster than Porkchop
2,037 Posts
sounds like a miss , check the firing order and make sure every plug is on right .

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
well if the gaskets were not seated right, they could very well be introducing an airleak into the cylinders which will cause the pinging you describe

i'd say, get a fuel pressure regulator and make sure you get 39psi with the vacuum line disconnected from the FRP...if that checks out then most likely the FPR and pump are good

other than that, since you've tuned it up for the most part, the only thing i can think of right now would be to get a real-time scanner hooked up to it and have it diagnosed by someone who knows how to interpret the data coming off the computer (concerning the short and long term fuel trims as well O2 sensor data)

and when you say no EGR? what exactly do you mean by that? EGR cannot be removed without a pcm flash/chip tune (otherwise the check engine light will always be on)

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The check engine light stays on now even after I repaired the ineffecient exhaust flow and the dead cylinder, the EGR was still throwing a fault. The light stays on. That is what I meante by that. I didn't do anything with it. I am not gonna worry about replacing it because we don't have emmisions here and I was told not to bother if I didn't have to. As far as the misfire theory, every plug is good, correctly gapped, they have the correct wire going to them, and they all are getting fire. You can hear the valve(s) tick on the drivers bank when you manually blip the throttle under the hood. It sounds terrible.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
ticking doesn't always indicate valves tapping....are you sure you know the difference between a pinging sound and a valve tapping sound...sometimes they can sound somewhat similar if you've never heard them before....this is the main reason i was leaning towards a pinging/knocking type diagnosis

it could also be lash adjuster tick if they are clogged up with sludge

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm pretty sure that I know the sounds, but I don't have hat much experience, therefore I am going to say I do not know the difference to be safe and to keep from looking arrogant :D. That's why we have these threads right? Is there a way to load a video into a thread? If so, I will get a vid that captures the sound, that way you guys could maybe make some conclusions. It is strange though, now that this has happened, I am losing oil pressure under hard braking, on inclines, and in 90 degree turns. No loss while driving though. The oil is full.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
you can load a video onto a hosting site such as youtube or photobucket, and just provide the link here

ah, so now that brings new light into the subject....sounds to me like maybe the oil pressure may not be making its way up to the lash adjusters (at least not at a sufficiently high enough pressure to keep the adjusters pumped up) perhaps causing partial collapsing, which may cause the cam follower to bounce on the lash adjuster tip

sounds like some oil passages may be clogged with sludge....it wont hurt to dump 1/3 to 1/2 can of seafoam into the crankcase right after you change the oil and put on a new motorcraft FL820S filter.....i know my '04 F150 had a bit of a ticking when cold, which i know was not pinging.....so far after two oil changes and about 1/3 can of seafoam into the oil each time, its about 90% gone

but definitely get a video up so the sounds can be heard

1 - 14 of 14 Posts