TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw someones post on fb thinking about mounting a hood scoop to his bird which gave me an idea im sure has been had before. Looked around the forums and saw some stuff from years ago but dont know if it worked out. Anyways has anyone successfully put a functional shaker scoop from a mach 1 or other functional hood scoops? Pics of them?

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
17,512 Posts
The Mach 1 shaker won’t come close to fitting with a stock hood without major surgery to the shaker itself, the bottom of base sits almost an inch higher than highest point of the stock 4V intake, and there’s barely 1/4 inch of space between that intake and my hood with 3/4” k member drop shims. You’d basically have to hack out the insides to get it to sit lower and encase the throttle body and such, and there goes the “functionality”. I have heard of at least one car with it but never saw pics posted of it, and I don’t imagine it had any connection to the intake tract.

And as far as functionality, it’s about as functional as a drinking straw tapped into the air silencer. Only reason marketing whizzes in the 60s could make nonsensical claims of “Ram Air” was air cleaner snorkels back then were sucking hot air directly from the engine compartment, and flap to a hood scoop allowed cool outside air to the carburetor. IOW a cold air intake. The stock intake tract is more effective for performance than the biggest hood scoops ever fitted to a Shelby Mustang or shaker equipped Mach 1

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Man u always lay most of the info needed out, thanks always helpful. Anyways i was looking a little deeper into the forums and seen there is problems with fitting like u said. Looking at the car more i think a teardrop scoop like ones on the old thunderbolts would be a better look if it was custom fabricated for our car. Also ik they dont add much if anything performance wise but i like the aggressive look with something on the hood but it should have some function

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
I looked into it; it uses the same "Airbox as the 2002 maf swap, but has two holes in the airbox, one which goes to the shaker intake, the other goes into the fenderwell.

So it's sucking at least half the air from the stock location anyway.

Cool looking if it were able to function, but that's not happening easily, as Matt said.

If you raise the body 6" on the K-member, no problem, lol.

·
Super Moderator
17,512 Posts
Honestly these hoods just inherently don’t have the shape or lines for bolt on scoops or shakers to look not tacked on as an afterthought IMO. 96-97s especially since they’re so curvy, 89-93s can pull them off a little better. The hoodline slopes down A LOT from the cowl to headlights, and scoops unflatteringly highlight that - it’s kinda weird when the back of the scoop is higher in plane than the front of the scooping part of the scoop, or is that just me? - Most other cars with good looking hood scoops have almost flat hoods. Before I had the thought to shim down the K member for my Mach 1 intake my plan was to cut the hood to clear the manifold and use a vintage Cougar Eliminator scoop to cover the hole, I even borrowed 9730th’s OEM one for his classic Cougar project to see how I liked it, and I just did not. Only angle it looked ok was looking down, where it actually lined up with the 91-95 Cougar hood indents nobody notices ?

I don’t particularly like cowl hoods on most cars but they’re the only hoods that work properly with the lines of these. There there have been some custom ones that look cool though, like the SVO scoop, and the Mach 1 hood for 89-93s(though I wish it flattened at the cowl like on the car that inspired it, rather than stay raised as a quasi cowl), both of which are integral and not particularly aggressive

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
I've briefly toyed with the idea of flipping the airbox around and sucking from a scoop mounted offset at corner of the hood (some old FR Porsches and IIRC Mitsu Eclipses had them aftermarket).

It would have been a home depot racing special and much more entertaining when the car had the splitport V6 and the sucking was the loudest sound the car made; that engine only lasted something like 19 laps so I moved on.

I say cutting into your hood to put in a nonfunctional snout that will also hurt visibility is a splendid idea. Its your car. Do what you want.
-g

·
Super Moderator
17,512 Posts
I say cutting into your hood to put in a nonfunctional snout that will also hurt visibility is a splendid idea. Its your car. Do what you want.
-g
Actually that’s the other thing, the hoods are so sloped down you can barely even see any modest sized hood scoop from the driver seat. Even on the 03-04 Mach 1, the hood had a bulge added below the shaker in in order to see the shaker shake from inside the car(which is really the whole point of it).

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Actually i said whatever i end up doing with the hood i want to be functional otherwise theres no point to me besides the look. So has anyone experimented with a teardrop type of scoop(i know thats heat extraction not a shaker)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts