TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this is the correct area, but here goes. Has anyone attempted to mount the shaker scoop on their t-bird. If so were there any difficulties, or was it relatively straight forward?

·
Super Moderator
7,617 Posts
I don't know of anyone successfully adapting the shaker scoop. I'm sure it could be done by a competent body-man, but I think this falls into the category of if you have to ask, it is probably outside your ability.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am capable of doing this type of modification. Question was tossed out to see if anyone had tried it, so I would get a heads up on dimensional issues. For instance, height of throttle body to hood in relation to the mustang. With the shaker being designed for the mustang hood spacing, I don't know if elevation issues come into play. It is obvious I just need to get the measurements from both vehicles myself. Had hoped someone could shed some light, but perhaps not.

·
̇
3,701 Posts
Black_Cat posted some pics awhile back of his buddy's Thunderbird..

Here's one of them:

I wish he had posted another pic with the hood closed..

The MN12 Thunderbirds have a sleek hood line, and having a shaker sticking up out of the hood might not look right..

I've always liked the shaker hoods, and wonder how they would look on an MN12 Thunderbird??

If you went carbureted it would probably make things simpler..Like the 302 in the picture..

Rayo..

·
Super Moderator
7,617 Posts
OK, glad to hear it. I didn't mean any offense by my comment, its just that a lot of people come in asking generic questions like that, and have no fabrication skills and are basically asking if it will bolt right in. As to your question of the dimensions, the tbirds have quite a bit less hood clearance than the mustangs. If I were going to try this, I would start with a fiberglass CobraR style hood. That will give you slightly more clearance than the Mustang has, which it would be easier to space everything up than trying to shorten the shaker assy. Also the stock tbird hood slopes down quite a bit compared to the SN95 hood, so the raised hood will give you clearance for the plumbing to run from the shaker inlet forward to the airbox, and back to the throttle body.

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
17,330 Posts
I am capable of doing this type of modification. Question was tossed out to see if anyone had tried it, so I would get a heads up on dimensional issues. For instance, height of throttle body to hood in relation to the mustang. With the shaker being designed for the mustang hood spacing, I don't know if elevation issues come into play. It is obvious I just need to get the measurements from both vehicles myself. Had hoped someone could shed some light, but perhaps not.
The shaker on the 03/04 Mach 1 was actually elevated over the Mustang's natural hoodline by a few inches, it wasn't just a hole in the hood. If you look at those hoods they've got a powerbulge to them around the shaker assembly, this was done purely to make the shaker clearly visible from inside the car(probably the biggest part of the cool factor of it).

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
17,330 Posts

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
^Yikes! With a cowl opening AND a shaker scoop, that hood is too busy for my tastes.

Al

1 - 10 of 10 Posts