TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My car is possessed!!!

My car is possessed by the devil. If I floor it in neutral it will not go above 3000 RPM. It's almost as if it can't tell that the throttle is open once it gets up there. If I let up a little on it, it can be coaxed into going higher. When driving it, once it gets near 2000 RPM it starts shaking like Regan in The Exorcist. It basically completely loses power. What in the world is wrong with my car. It was fine one minute and horrible the next. I used a different gasoline today. Could that have anything to do with this. I put in a bottle of Gumout fuel system cleaner but it did nothing. Please help me. :bawling:

Thanks.
Damien

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm starting to hate this car. Now it's running fine. Two days ago my power steering wouldn't work. Now it is fine. Today, my car was having seizures. Now it is fine. I hate to think about what might be next. Please keep me and my car in your prayers.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, today I was driving and the shudder was still present. I put in 3/4 of a can of SeaFoam into the crankcase oil and 1 1/4 cans into my fuel tank. The car has its power and life back. I can once again floor it without having it sputter and almost die. The funny thing is that the Gumout I used last night did nothing for it. LOL. God bless SeaFoam!!! I'm in much better spirits now. :)

Thanks for all your suggestions as I will be inspecting all of them,
Damien

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What is the harmonic balancer, what does it look like, and where is it in my car?

Damien

·
The Parts Guy
7,360 Posts
ThunderMoon said:
What is the harmonic balancer, what does it look like, and where is it in my car?

Damien
The crankshaft pulley is bolted to your harmonic balancer. It is located on the front of the engine, near the bottom.

-Rod

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
if you ran too low of an octane the motor could have been detonating, triggering the knock sensor and reducing power. Thats just a thought.

But the seafoam was a good idea, that stuff rocks. You can hook a bottle of it upto a vacuum line that runs to the intake and suck it into the motor that way too, that'll clean up the combustion chambers and intake/exhaust ports of the heads. I'd hook it up after the supercharger somewhere. At the rear IC return inlet maybe.

-Thomas

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just realized something. The mechanic must be on crack. He was saying that the problem is the intake manifold gasket, but he used a little pool of fluid that is nowhere near the intake manifold as his evidence. So........could my problem be the result of a clogged fuel filter? Is it possible that not enough fuel is flowing to keep the engine from running ultra lean at high RPM's? That makes more sense to me. Please let me know ASAP since I have my car for sale on Ebay because I got pissed off at it LOL

Thanks,
Damien

·
8,978 Posts
well replace the fuel filter and find out. Its cheap and easy, located underneatht he car below the passenger side door.

Where was the pool of fluid he pointed at?

-Thomas

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It was under the supercharger just to the driver's side. I'd say six or seven inches past the serpentine belt.

Damien

·
8,978 Posts
even if it is a leak that shouldnt affect the power of your car, especially a small leak.
-Thomas

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay thanks. :) Hopefully it is just a dirty fuel filter.

Damien

·
8,978 Posts
I doubt a clogged filter would prevent your car from reving past a certain rpm though, if anything it would still rev, but would run lean and melt a piston or something. Thats a really would symptom you've got. But the fuel filter is easy to replace and probably needs it anyway.
-Thomas

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, if it isn't the fuel filter, what do you think the culprit might be? Should I just go ahead with selling the car if the filter doesn't cure? I'm extremely impulsive though so I'm usually not sure if I'm over reacting. But it does suck driving it the way it is now. :(

Damien

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
And it is the only car I have and I'm always on the go...

·
8,978 Posts
well if that doesnt work then obviously other avenues need to be pursued in what could be wrong. I'm trying to think of what would cause it do to something like that. When my TPS went bad on my 95 it would kind of do that but thats because on 94+ the tps controls the transmission, but not on the earlier ones.

Its not throwing any codes or anything? Check engine light?

-Thomas

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Nope no codes or check engine lights. The only time the CEL has come on was when I forgot to reconnect the MAF after I cleaned it. It just gets worse the longer it is driven. When I first start the car, the problem is non-existant unless I really really drive it hard. It starts to show up after it has been driven a while. It gets to the point where it is nearly impossible to accelerate without it doing the whole engine missing and car shaking thing. It's a really violent shaking too.

Damien

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Also, to avoid the problem I sometimes have to shift very early to keep the revs down low. The fact that it gets worse after driving it a while is why I also doubt it is the fuel filter now that I think about it.

Damien

1 - 20 of 25 Posts