TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 3.8 daily driver idles at about 700rpm and when I go to turn the car at idle it drops the idle down to about 450rpm and begins to run really rough and shake like its going to stall..... my guess is it needs a power steering fluid flush.... anyone else have any other idea what it could be?

Belt is new, tensioner is new, oil is new, oil filter is new, all vacume lines are new.

Could probably use a new fuel filter and spark plugs, but I'm sure you all know what a pain those plugs are to get to :rolleyes:

Car has 98xxx-99,000 miles on it I forget the exact number, as I drive it daily.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Does the car idle ok otherwise or only when you turn the wheel? I'm thinking that you might start with cleaning your IAC. While your at it, check the wires going to the IAC and make sure that they are not frayed or disconnected.

You can use a good quality carb cleaner to clean the IAC. If you're careful taking off the IAC, you can most likely re-use the gasket. While your at it, you might want to disconnect the air intake tube and clean in there too. Use a toothbrush on the throttle plate, but don't scrub the inside, just let the cleaner do it's job. There's some sort of finish on the inside of the plenum, and it's possible (but not likely) to damage that if you scrub that.

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No cels, but the light does work. Hooked a reader up to it and still no help, no codes what so ever. The car idles just fine otherwise, just when I turn the wheel AT IDLE, I can turn the wheel while driving with no problems, or even while the car is rolling it doesn't do it, its just when I got to turn the wheels at idle... like for example I was backing out of a parking spot and turned the wheels to get them straight before backing up and it started shaking like the power steering pump is sucking up lots of power from the engine.

I'm going to have the power steering fluid flushed on saturday I'm hoping thats what it is.... I really can't think of anything else it would be. IAC is clean and the wires are in good shape, if the flush doesn't help than I really wont worry about it too much, it hasn't stalled doing it yet, and the car is soon to become a weekend driver only in about 2 weeks because than my 4.6's will be finished. I'll give it all the love its been craving and do a complete 100,000 mile tune because I wont have to rely on it as a daily driver anymore and will be able to have it out of commission for a few days, right now thats not an option.

The main reason I seriously doubt its IAC or MAF or intake related is because this car has a lot more pick up and response than any other 3.8 bird I've driven and it idles and drives fine, its just when I turn at idle....

oh also this just hit me.... it only does it when its cold.... like if I just started the car and went to turn the wheels.... it doesn't do it if I drove to work and let it idle and turn the wheels than, or when I drive home from work and try it in my drive way... it works just fine than, no shakes, no drop in idle.

I appriate the fast feed back from you guys. This site has been such a huge source of information.

·
5,650 Posts
When the car is stopped, it takes maximum effort from the power steering pump to turn the wheels. When your rolling at any speed, already the pump has less work to do since the wheels aren't firmly planted in one spot. The fact that you say it does it when it's cold leads me to think 2 things.

1) How cold is cold? When the fluid is cold, it is thicker and therefore the pump has to work really hard to pump the fluid through the system. Flushing the fluid may help you out here, but if it's original I would just do it anyway as the fluid you have is most certainly worn.
2) If the pump is weak, you'll have this problem too.

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I had some down time today and had the fluid flushed.... didn't help... so I replaced the pump.... ugh!! what a pain... anyway problem solved, no more shaking, runs smoooooth. Thanks for the help everyone. Just wanted to let you all know that this problem has been resolved.

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
oh yea! Lots and lots of fun! lol that sob fought me tooth and nail

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
seems to me like theres a few bolts a bunch of people leave out for convenience

1 - 12 of 12 Posts