TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Wow that thing's ugly. Elon has played way to much Minecraft over the years.

"Fix it in post." - Elon Musk

:LOL: :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
456 Posts
Id like to know if itll really stop a 9mm.

·
Super Moderator
16,808 Posts
Positive thoughts:

I like it better than the semi truck nosed faux rancher ten gallon hat Bro pickup trucks the big three has been building for the last 10 years.

I’m tired of interchangable rounded aggressive deep sea fish looking car designs so kudos for thinking outside the box, as hard edged and box like this is

It reminds me of the various wedge shaped Italian concept cars from the 70s(Aston Martin bulldog and Modulo 512 pictured), and also the original production Lambo Countach and Lotus Esprit S1

Yes, I like these, shut up lol

Not so positive thoughts:

It looks like a dated Sci-Fi movie car from the 80s.

I cannot imagine this will win over any current full size pickup owners

I can’t even imagine Tesla/Elon koolaid drinkers will buy many either.

Wasn’t Tesla's big breakthrough making viable electric cars that DON’T LOOK WEIRD? This harkens back to the bad old days of EVs like the CitiCar, in more ways than one.

Id like to know if itll really stop a 9mm.
well it couldn’t stop a blow from a ball bearing during the reveal, so......

·
Premium Member
349 Posts
Just posted in the MachEV thread a few mins ago, didn't see this . The Tesla truck is unique I give it that. Good on Tesla for doing their own thing. One of the reasons they are so successful. Just look at it (lol) ... It's a truck, its ulgy and utilitarian... Perfect

I was watching Doug DeMuro's thoughts on the MachEV last night. He brought up a good point about Tesla. Tesla has such a market share that they are known as the electric vehicle. An analogy he made was that people regard tissues as a Kleenex. You say electric car and people think Tesla.

·
Super Moderator
10,371 Posts
The tesla truck has been done:

I like her videos. :)

The Tesla truck reminds me of this old series; they had an auxiliary vehicle in the back too:

·
Super Moderator
16,808 Posts
Just posted in the MachEV thread a few mins ago, didn't see this . The Tesla truck is unique I give it that. Good on Tesla for doing their own thing. One of the reasons they are so successful. Just look at it (lol) ... It's a truck, its ulgy and utilitarian... Perfect

I was watching Doug DeMuro's thoughts on the MachEV last night. He brought up a good point about Tesla. Tesla has such a market share that they are known as the electric vehicle. An analogy he made was that people regard tissues as a Kleenex. You say electric car and people think Tesla.

Is Doug the guy who thinks it’s “weird” and “quirky” every time he encounters an old car with an ash tray? Giving an absurdly bad score to anything built to not-2019 car buying sensibilities?

He’s right though. You’d have to be a diehard Ford fanatic to not instantly see it as the obvious Tesla imitator it is. I won’t get into a dogmatic argument about whether BEVs are the future and automakers need to adapt or die, but what makes an brand a success is a defining trait, and it seems all of the car companies going EV are shedding those defining traits in their transition. The Mustang Mocky might be the most egregious example, but based on the concepts and proposals I’ve been seeing elsewhere they all seem like fan created variations of Tesla’s.

And I agree with you about the truck. I have wished car designers would be this daring my whole life, they’ve played things so safe ever since the jellybean 90s look, where most designs look predictable upon release and boring after a few years. The mid 60s to the mid 70s was my favorite period of car design, when design was last left purely to imagination and free from aerodynamic, safety and marketplace realities, and this looks like a concept straight from it. I don’t necessarily want it, or even like it, but I can’t stop staring at it. But I’m a weirdo who tends to embrace “love it or hate it” designs, I tend to not be on the same wavelength as the masses that determine what’s successful and what’s not.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
I think the design is ridiculous. I cannot imagine that it made it past any kind of peer review or has any approval from the actual car buying public.

The ONLY thing I like about it is the tailgate. How is it 2019 and this is the FIRST time anyone has integrated a ramp into the factory tailgate?

·
Super Moderator
16,808 Posts
I cannot imagine that it made it past any kind of peer review
That’s a feature, not a bug. Too much design by committee in the world, nothing expressive.

The ONLY thing I like about it is the tailgate. How is it 2019 and this is the FIRST time anyone has integrated a ramp into the factory tailgate?
This kind of blew my mind today, it was pointed out on another site I’m on and also referenced on Jalopnik, this Brubaker drawing featured in a 1978 copy of penthouse almost perfectly predicts the Cybertruck including the tailgate ramp.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Yes, it's as ugly as the Pontiac Aztec, but give him one thing. Production had to be much cheaper since the fenders don't need to be molded 😂. Or for that matter any of it. Couple weeks of free time and a good metal brake and I could build one.

·
Super Moderator
11,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's the one I was thinking of when I first saw this! Yeah, the Pontiac Aztec. I'd forgotten the name but the body style is unforgettable.

·
Super Moderator
7,484 Posts
I don’t really get what they were going for here. If they were going for aerodynamics, why is it so damn high? If they were going for off road ability with the knobby tires, why is the rim protruding over the sidewalk with angular pieces that prevent any sidewalk deflection? If they were going for ruggedness, why are all the side body panels perfectly flat and exposed for anything and everything to ding it up? If they were going for utility, why is the bed so small? They put back doors presumably for a back seat, but then that roofline looks like it makes it impossible for anyone over 4ft tall to sit back there. While the Pontiac Aztek clearly looks like it was beaten with an ugly stick, I’m OK with that because it’s ugliness allows it to be versatile, spacious inside, hold a decent amount of cargo, and be impervious to door dings. This thing is just as ugly, if not worse, but I don’t see any side benefits to any of the ugliness.

·
Super Moderator
16,808 Posts
In its defense, quad cab bro pickups with their stubby little bed that has a 4 foot liftover regardless of 2wd or 4x4 compromises versatility too. Full-size pickups are a fashion statement, and until I came to realize this actually is the Cybertruck, I thought Elon was parodying/mocking the full-size pickup market with it.

Supposedly the body metal is 1/8” thick so it’ll theoretically be fairly impervious to dings, but I cannot imagine how it will be in an accident. I don’t get the wheels and tires either, the sidewalls seem to have special indentations to accommodate them.

·
Super Moderator
11,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ripsaw EV2 > Cybertruck or Urus

If I had the money to buy something like that I'd get this. Now, this is MAD MAX!

Attachments

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
I think its kinda ugly, id prefer a little more traditional styling. as for using it as a truck not sure it would go over if it can't tow for 500 miles on one charge and quick charge that would equal the time it took to fill up a traditional 36 gal fuel tank.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I may be one of the few weird ones, but I actually like it! And, apparently within 2 days of introduction, so did 200k other people as they pre-ordered theirs!

It's by far vastly different than anything out there. It seems to have a 6ft standard bed size for a truck in its class (gas version) as all the other manufacturers seem to be going no longer than a 5ft bed these days in their 150/1500 class trucks. The 10k lbs of hauling that's advertised. I wouldn't be surprised if it's highly under advertised. You know, like one of those things where manufacturers claim "350HP" on a new sports car but dyno tests show an extra 100HP.

The charging thing, yea. That's the real drawback of having a Tesla, or any electric vehicle really. But if the target market is someone like me who's looking for a truck and doesn't really need anything "too" utilitarian, but needs a truck to haul around stuff from time to time because they don't want to ask friends / family to borrow their truck, this would fit the bill. If the truck will be mainly the daily driver and still be able to do drives within the 300 mile range before needing to "juice up", this truck would fit the bill. I know it'll fit my bill. For example, the longest day trip I go on with my family is about 90 miles one way. I'm sure that there are charging stations to this destination my family and I go to, I've just never seen them because I never need to know about them. Even if there weren't, the whole trip is just 180 miles round trip. So when we get back home I'd be able to plug in and be ready to go the next day to wherever for whatever I may need.

Anyway, this Cybertruck is pretty awesome. Also, this:

Unfortunately, it also applies to that blasphemous name usage thing that Ford made, lol.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Here's something interesting I stumbled across. Apparently, the Cybertruck may have a drag coefficient as low as 0.30. Quite impressive for a truck!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
In the link I posted, it has a tweet from Elon stating that they still need to add the mirrors.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 24 Posts