TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody ever done this? This is one of those mods I'd like to see on an MN-12. We all know that many of the newer cars have a little spot on the rear of the roof usually as a "shark fin" or circle of some sort which replaces the antenna sicking up from the car somewhere.

Personally, I think that the antenna our cars have is ugly when its sticking up and absolutely love the fact that our cars (I guess the newer ones) have a retractable antenna which keeps our cars looking sleek. If someone was able to mod this up on one of our cars, I think that would make the appearance of our cars look a million times better. The antenna on the passenger front fender would be gone, the antenna hole would be patched up, and our cars would have a "fin" on the rear of the roof.

Just some thoughts :)

·
Super Moderator
7,669 Posts
The shark fin antenna is for satellite radio, and will not provide any regular radio reception. If you want to shave the existing antenna, just get a hidden one.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Yeah my SUV has a regular antenna on the fender, and a shark fin on the roof for the satellite ratio / on-star. The shark fin isnt for AM/FM radio. Some of the high end cars have the antenna built into the front windshield which is nice and clean.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
While not a "shark fin" antenna, it is the same concept. My 2013 Ford Taurus has the new style antenna which sits up on the roof of the car and it is not for satellite radio as some of you have mentioned. It's for standard AM/FM radio.

This is essentially what I was thinking of. Of course, it doesn't have to be a "shark fin" like I said, it could be just a sleek shaped device that is color matched on the roof of the car.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
While not a "shark fin" antenna, it is the same concept. My 2013 Ford Taurus has the new style antenna which sits up on the roof of the car and it is not for satellite radio as some of you have mentioned. It's for standard AM/FM radio.

This is essentially what I was thinking of. Of course, it doesn't have to be a "shark fin" like I said, it could be just a sleek shaped device that is color matched on the roof of the car.
Your AM/FM antenna is in the window. The one on the roof is for satellite radio.

·
Registered
319 Posts
The newer MN12's are not the only ones with the retractable antenna, my 89 Thunderbird has it too. If you wanted you could just go to the junkyard and take one from another car with the harness and plastic piece that goes with it. They break a lot easier then the regular ones though.

·
Registered
222 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
I was thinking the same thing recently, since I hate having the antenna absurdly poking out of the passenger fender, it looks worse than the same style antenna poking out of the drivers rear fender on my last car (2003 Taurus LX sedan...god I miss that cars stability on ice at freeway speeds lol). I mainly listen to my Spotify music on my phone with a tape deck adapter at the moment, but I love the 93X Half Assed Morning Show so the "no antenna at all" option isn't gunna happen.

Anyway, I was thinking of getting one of those "stubby" antennas that are 1/2" thick and like 8-10" long to sleek up the looks, or I might just remove the antenna completely if there is a decent hidden one available to fit without much fabrication. Does anyone know of such a kit for our cars? Or at least what thread pattern our antenna mount uses (or is it universal)?

·
Registered
410 Posts
I was thinking the same thing recently, since I hate having the antenna absurdly poking out of the passenger fender, it looks worse than the same style antenna poking out of the drivers rear fender on my last car (2003 Taurus LX sedan...god I miss that cars stability on ice at freeway speeds lol). I mainly listen to my Spotify music on my phone with a tape deck adapter at the moment, but I love the 93X Half Assed Morning Show so the "no antenna at all" option isn't gunna happen.

Anyway, I was thinking of getting one of those "stubby" antennas that are 1/2" thick and like 8-10" long to sleek up the looks, or I might just remove the antenna completely if there is a decent hidden one available to fit without much fabrication. Does anyone know of such a kit for our cars? Or at least what thread pattern our antenna mount uses (or is it universal)?
You mean the rubber duckie type antenna? you will kill your reception.

get a black regular length antenna. The vehicle looks fine with the fender antenna, it is of the era the car came from. Sort of like how the 2005-2009 mustang looks fine with it since it actually adds to the retro appeal.

Also, look up "Ford Shorty Antenna" and you can find options.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts