TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So yeah, rusted bolt = sheared bolt when you try to rachet it off.

I did that on the drivers seat front bolt that bolts the track to the floor. The seat is out, but that bolt was rusted and is still in the hole. How can I get it out? I'd like to be able to use the existing hole, rather than drill another hole. Can I drill the bolt down and out? Where will it go if I do? Is there a better idea?

·
Registered
150 Posts
soak it with wd or croil, go to sears or a decent auto parts store and they will sell bolt extractor kits , most of the time different sizes. i have used the sears set and they work. if that dosent work you will have to drill the rusted bolt to the reccomended size for a tap the correct size. the drill bit will have to be as perfectly centered with the rusted bolt as possible. you will also need cutting oil for the tap. after drilled you will need to screw the tap through the hole slowly, back and forth and every thread or so unscrew the tap and blow or clean out the hole as you go. compressed air to blow it out. if the tap binds to where it is going to break stop and clean it out.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
I did the same thing on the seatbelt bolts in my explorer but I could get at them from both sides so it was a little easier. I used the above mentioned bits, 3in 1 oil and compressed air and about 4 hours of work to get it out, what a *****. I hope this doesnt happen to you but with me after I was 75% through the bolt it decided to break free but took the threads with it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts