TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I managed to bust both bolts on the rear subframe bracket. Is the any special tool i can use to back out the rest of the bolt ? Also the main bolt is still in there and the bracket was completely rusted away and that bolt won't budge ? Any helpful suggestions?

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Ah, I busted one of mine when I replaced that bracket as well.

I drilled it out. I used a carbide center drill on it. Cuts like butter. Then I taped the hole to the next size up. If u can drill it straight enough, you might be able to save the threads.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah, I busted one of mine when I replaced that bracket as well.

I drilled it out. I used a carbide center drill on it. Cuts like butter. Then I taped the hole to the next size up. If u can drill it straight enough, you might be able to save the threads.
Thank you, can i do the same with the bolt where the bushing is attached? It doesn't seem to want to move at all.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I’m not sure. The bushing would probably be in the way to get tools to the broken part if it snaps.

If it snaps, you might have to drop the whole sub frame to get the snapped bolt off. Mine actually came out good so IDK.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Time for PB Blaster!

Jay

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Redrill it as david viny suggested. It's probably not the easiest to do initially, but it'll save you a lot of headaches in the long run.

·
Registered
207 Posts
If it is the rear bolts on the subframe drill through the trunk floor and remove the bolts. Just measure carefully so that you don't cut the frame rails. Then the bolts just lift out, typical of ford they just use speednuts.

If the subframe is lying on the ground you can pick it up by using two jacks (one for the frame rail, one for the subframe then slide a couple bolts through the tabs all the way on the back of the subframe. Grind the heads so that they will fit through the holes in the frame rail. This will get the car back together enough to get in and out of a driveway.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Still no luck, I went out an bought the bolt out sockets and it wont budge. I haven't drilled the 2 outer bolts yet, maybe tomarrow on those 2 but that main bolt is kicking my a**.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Heat??

Hello

Remember there is alot in sound foam there. If you use heat becareful.

-->FIRE!!<--

I would keep drilling it out untill the easy-out pulls the bolt.

Paul

1 - 11 of 11 Posts