TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction on finding laws. I'm looking into ripping out the dash and just having a tubed/sheet metal dash and still being street legal. I looked up the FL statutes and didn't see anything against it but I may have over looked something. Any help would be gretaly appriciated.

·
Super Moderator
7,492 Posts
I don't see how there would be a law against it, but on a street car it strikes me as a bad idea, since if you are in an accident, a sheet metal dash would hurt a lot more than the padded foam stock one. You'd probably be better off just gutting the factory dash and resinstalling the outer shell to have it at least look stock. Doing that, you would be able to save just about as much weight as the sheet metal dash.

·
Pedal Faster
2,658 Posts
Don't know why there would be a law governing the dash board. Your insurance might not be too keen on disabling the passenger side airbag, but I doubt they'd care unless a passenger was injured in a crash.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
It is illegal to remove/disable or tamper with your airbags.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Aside from the illegality of the airbags (which is a federal issue), I actually researched this for CA laws -- even so far as speaking to the police in SF. I couldn't find any particular municipal or state law that would prevent me driving on the street with half a dash (I needed something to bolt my gauges to).

I did find that most 5pt harnesses are NOT street legal as they don't carry a DOT certification. Therefore, in addition to my 5pt harness, I left the stock belts in the car.

-g

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sweet, thanks for the info.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Sweet, thanks for the info.
Note: YMMV.

If a cop pulls you over and has a hard-on for you, I'm sure he'll try to find something to stick you with. When i drive the car now (full cage, flat black rolled-on paintjob, etc) I'm doing everything I can to be as inconspicious as possible.

-g

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So far in the past few years I managed to get away from many tickets with my anti-ticket devices (USMC sticker, license plate and yellow ribbon magnet) plus the standard "yes sir, no sir " responses... subtly tap into that patriotism

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
So far in the past few years I managed to get away from many tickets with my anti-ticket devices (USMC sticker, license plate and yellow ribbon magnet) plus the standard "yes sir, no sir " responses... subtly tap into that patriotism
If your not an arse you normally won't get a ticket.

I've been pulled over countless times and only been ticketed when they were gross offenses, 25+mph over (though got it down to 13over).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts