TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Scott has GB back on all fours, and took her out for little spin to the local gas station. The good news is that the fuel pressure stayed stable, so it appears that the new fuel deliver system is a-ok. Of course he didn't test her at WOT, that'll happen on the dyno.

Installing the new fuel pump, etc., turned out to be quite a bit bigger task than you might imagine. Finding, actually making, room for the pump and rubber mounting it, and covering it, and getting the fuel lines to it was a biatch. Wiring in the controller in sync with the inertia switch required some additional fuses and distribution blocks, and total re-wiring to make it safe and sound.

As far as time goes, we ran into some snags with back ordered parts, and Scott had some big bike events and other personal stuff going on, but as usual, it was worth the wait, 'cause it's done right.

And the hood is back on. Lest we forget what she looks like:

WASHED & SHINEY

MEAN ON THE INSIDE

A TASTE OF THE TRUNK

Get ready Timb, we're getting closer to the dyno all the time. I've got new tires on the vette, and I'm ready for a road trip.

:thumbsup:

-mike

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
I can't wait Mike. We have a spare bedroom if you need a place to stay. I am ready to make a trip over to Robinson now to get a complete picture of what I'm up against before I make a decision. I'm also curious to see what extra parts you might have left over :)

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't wait Mike. We have a spare bedroom if you need a place to stay. I am ready to make a trip over to Robinson now to get a complete picture of what I'm up against before I make a decision. I'm also curious to see what extra parts you might have left over :)
I'll let you know when it's happening, whether I'm making the trip or not. It'll probably be a Saturday, that's when Scott can make it, and when Aric usually schedules the dyno time.

-mike

·
Amateur Expert
1,662 Posts
Do you guys have a nickname for this beast? I mean, "Goldbird" just doesn't cut it anymore. Can't wait for more updates including video and numbers!!!

Great job guys! Makes me want my bird back again!

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Looking good Mike. I saw her in person back in February but with no gas tank I couldn't hear it run.
What are you going to do for a hood?

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What are you going to do for a hood?
:zdunno:

We're exploring some options. I kinda like the custom, offset scoop idea, with an open front to show the "Vortech" just as in the pic - sort of a la Cougie, only bigger. That would mean a lot of work for Scott, to shape it out of foam and glass it. Also the open front would mean rain under the hood and lots of polishing for me.

I also like the look of the new prototype Camaro hood/scoop setup

something along those lines might work, but again it's a one-off custom deal and lots of work for Scott if we do it out of foam and glass.

Unless -- well a guy stopped by to check out GB while Scott was parked on the side of the road on the way to the first dyno session. He has a company that fabricates fiberglass body parts (hoods and fenders and skirts, etc) for Dodge pick-ups. He's offered to mold a one-off hood for GB, and we could do something like the Camaro style.

There is also an old school hod rod body man up in Atlanta that can fabricate a scoop out of metal.

So we have some options, but alot of it is contingent on GB running so Scott can get her around to the different people so they can take measurments and stuff. Then we can get some prices and figure out what we want to do.

Who knows? I may just bring her down to Florida with the hood as is, and find somebody down here.

Or just leave it alone, the hole is starting to grow on me...

:D

-mike

·
Registered
474 Posts
Well there goes your sleeper look. Is the hood even legal? Although they never said anything about holes in the hood.

Either way it looks good. Keep it up!!

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I am amazed everytime I see this car.
Beautiful work.

·
Like Titles Matter
2,129 Posts
Standing by, waiting for the Miller remarks to come any time now....

·
Registered
418 Posts
congrats scott and mike. i know it feels good to get them back on the road.

its a beautiful piece of work.....awesome stuff.

BEST of luck and keep the news coming...
Bill

·
The Parts Guy
7,304 Posts

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Question is: will she make 4000 lbs? :zdunno:

GB vs. Cougie would be a nice run to watch, I know that much. Even better if Scott brings the right tires and Mike has been practicing his launches in the two years since I've seen them. :zwall: :D

Hmmm, could see Goldbird, Cougie, Schultz's newly blown Mark and the Blue Flame (gigglin' all the while???) all lined up in the Big Dawg class this year???? Did Scott ever get the blower on Linkie? Where's Irv? I need to mail that check....

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Question is: will she make 4000 lbs? :zdunno:
Aha, they raised the weight limit and included the drivers, guess the Heavy Chevies don't want MN12s with lightweight drivers (Irv), kicking their butts....

I'm pretty sure the roll cage; JL's braces; the blower; SVO intake; blower intake plumbing, the aftercooler/heat exchanger/water reservoir/water; the extra wiring cable; and assorted other stuff will more than make up for the weight reduction from the hole in the hood, MK 8 rear LCA's and the replacement of the electric seats for racing seats. And this time, I'll leave the JL Subwoofer in the trunk.

If she comes up light, I'll just go on a diet of malteds and greasy burgers

-- oh, I'm already on that diet...

:D

-mike

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
GB vs. Cougie would be a nice run to watch,

Hmmm, could see Goldbird, Cougie, Schultz's newly blown Mark and the Blue Flame (gigglin' all the while???) all lined up in the Big Dawg class this year????
The rematch I want is Eric Z .... Where's he hidin'?

:diablo:

-mike

·
Overkill Fetish Freak
2,458 Posts
I've dropped 100lbs in the past year so I doubt I'll be able to tip those scales. I'm pretty sure she will make weight but I doubt Cougie can touch her at the track (if Mike can hook-up/keep it in D).

I still have a bunch of work to do but the list is getting shorter.

-Scott

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
No sweat there... I get a head start, remember? I stage my rear wheels ...

:xpshame:

-mike
Hey! I didn't say that

<font size=1>out loud</font> :D

And don't forget, Irv did most of his whoopin' in a mostly stock (I think?) second gen Mark... not nearly a lightweight.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts