TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled into a gas station last night just fine, but when I put it in gear to leave, the shifter just moved back and forth with no resistance at all, and the tranny was stuck in park. I got under it, and was easily able to move the tranny selector on the tranny itself to Neutral by hand, so at least I got it pushed out of the way.

Anyway, it seems to me the cable must be broken. Has anyone ever replaced one of these? Any tips on the job?

Thanks -

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
The cable is for the shift interlock, so it won't start in drive, and you can't take it out of park without the key. The shifter itself mearly moves the MLPS, and gates the movement of the shifter.

I'd check on your MLPS first.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm...according to the tech manuals, there's a separate shift interlock cable, and another cable that goes down to the mlps. 'Guess I'll just have to tear into it. BTW - the shift interlock still works...

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK - I pulled it apart, and it definitely IS the shifter cable that goes down to the gear selector from the shift lever. I had to undo the bottom where it connects at the tranny first, though, which is opposite what it says in the manual. Without doing this, I couldn't get enough play to get to the bolts where it mounts to the shift lever itself at the top. Once I unbolted the cable housing at the bottom, the broken part of the cable fell right out. The cable itself is like a wound flat guitar string, a little thicker than 1/16". It broke about 3" up from the bottom end. I still need to get the replacement...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts