TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 95 LX that I just bought will hold 1st gear until about 2.5K-3K RPM. I assume this is a broken spring and/or the old style 1-2 accumulator. I can take care of this just fine.

I also have a problem when cruising, if I nail it to pass a car, the tranny will downshift (of course) and slip and hit the rev limiter if I let it.

My question is this: Is the second problem related to the first problem in any way? If I change the 1-2 accumulators and the associated springs, will it fix the slipping, or is this probably a clutch related problems.

Thanks y'all....

Glen

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
I'd fix your 1-2 accumulator problem first and see if the other problem goes away. Do the cheap fix first before assuming it's dead... but we all know 95 trannies aren't the strongest of the bunch.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, the thing is, my 95 Cougar is dead and I don't plan on fixing it. I have the orginal tranny in it that has been J-modded and has a 98 Mark VIII TC. I don't want to spend money on the LXs transmission if there's not a good chance it will fix it. I know that the accumulator piston will fix the shift point, I just don't know if the slipping is or can be related. I really don't want to have to swap transmissions either...it would be much easier to change the accumulator piston IF it will fix the problem......I don't know. I got way too many things going right now to swap a tranny, but it is an option....

Thanks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts