TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to go out and buy a TransGo Shift Kit. I haven't got it yet, but I was reading the tech articles; am I going to need the things that are listed under it(accumulator pistons and such), or do they come with the kit? Also, how hard is installation? Seeing as how I've never done it before, how long will it take me?

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
dont get a trans-go kit, do the j-mod instead. read up on it in the tranny section on the tech articles. the man who designed it :bowdown: knows these tranny's inside and out. of course he should he engineered it but anyway if you read those articles he will explain why not to use those aftermarket shift kits. basically they're bad for your tranny. one other quick thing, either method you choose you also might want to think about a tranny cooler.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
There is one major reason not to buy the Transgo kit:

EPC overpressure relief valve, I don't buy it, it seems worse than having an overpressure situation.

Do the JMod, it's easier, cheaper, and better.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
dealer. Should only be a few bucks. Don't forget the separator plate gaskets as well. That should be a dealer part as well. I got all of my parts from the local dealer, and spent maybe $35-ish bucks total. I would also call Dan Newman and see what he can do for you, if you can wait a few days for the shipping. He would prob. be able to give you a better price than the local stealership.

·
Registered
364 Posts
nidex said:
Alright, where do I go and buy the accumulator pistons and such? Would AutoZone have them or would I have to go to the Ford dealer?
Ford.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
uh, yeah, harder if you want it to, read the tech article. If you want it to shift really hard, go with the 450 HP level..

BTW, my parts were $28 from Dan Newman

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Also, I was reading this, and the guy says you need the new accumulators, but in the technical articles, it doesn't list that you need to get them. What should I do?

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
I'd get em. They're cheap insurance. Plus the 94-95 tranny isn't known for it's strength from what I gather.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
They are cheaper than the Mercon V that you are going to put in there, and if you do a search, the old accumulators are probably the 2nd highest culprit of tranny failures, after the torque converter on 94-95 cars. They are the easiest part of the JMod, especially if you don't mess with the OD servo.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay, I think I have all the part numbers for everything I need. Tell me if I'm missing anything.

2 Seperator Plate Gaskets
Deep Sump Tranny Pan
Mercon V
1-2 Accumulator Piston
1-2 Blue Return Spring
2-3 Accumulator Piston

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
deep sump trans filter

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
15 quarts of Mercon V and the proper sized drillbits. I found the bits at Atwoods

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oh, I thought I could just keep the same transmission filter. What size drillbits am I going to need for the 450hp setting? I've looked around and through the J-Mod articles but I haven't seen anything telling me that.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
As a matter of fact, I have tried it in my AOD, and was told that it was bad for it as well, as I was having it rebuilt. So when it came time to do work on the bird, I just followed what I had been told by countless people on this board, to do the J-mod and be done with it. So far, no problems. I have not tried it in a 4R70W, and will not. I cannot afford to guess if it is actually bad for my trans. I know the J-Mod works, so that's what I went with. If someone else has installed the Trans-Go kit and had no issues, then more power to them. To each their own. I was offering an opinion, therefore it should not be taken as "the" word. Just a suggestion. It's his tranny, so it's really up to him what he does.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Well, my first transmission had a Trans-No-Go kit in it, and when I tore it apart, the transmission failure was DIRECTLY related to the failure of the EPC Overpressure valve, which after studying a little more on the hydraulics of the transmission, has NO BUSINESS IN ANY TRANSMISSION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BTW: I had a Trans-Go kit in my Trans Am with the 4L60, and it was great, it's just the 4R70W kit that I have a problem with, mainly the Overpressure valve. Get the JMod, your tranny will live a lot longer.

Don't forget a good heavy duty tranny cooler also, didn't see that listed anywhere.

Drill Bit Sizes for 450-600 level:

Hole 1: .160
hole 2: .125
hole 3: .180
hole 4: .125
hole 5: .125
hole 6: .160
hole 7: .125
hole 8: .238
hole 9: .100
hole 10: .100
hole 11: .100